beijing olympics

Discussion in 'Photographic Discussions' started by mike11165, Aug 10, 2008.

1. mike11165

mike11165 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    are you all seeing the incredible images coming from beijing? the frontal shots of Phelp's world record 400 I.M. today are incredible. I hope there are some TPF'ers there getting us some material to C&C in the coming weeks.
    Wow what a rich environment for talented photographers
    to show their craft. the opening ceremonies were unbelievable.

2. Robin

Robin TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I was just watching the olympics and saw some photographers in the background and thought "I'd love to be where they are!" I'm hoping if I work hard enough between now and then, I may actually be able to shoot the 2012 London Olympics. We'll probably still be living in England at that point. I have no idea how to go about getting a press pass for that kind of thing but my husband is a former journalist so hopefully he can help. And if anyone else has some advice, please share.

3. henkelphoto

henkelphoto TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Robin, the only way to get into the Olympics with a press pass is to be assigned by someone (there are close to 15,000 accredited journalists in Beijing). So, you need to start currying favor with some sort of publication or marketing firm that will have an "in" with the Olympics right now, perhaps the local newspaper (yes, small publications can get credentialled if there is a local performer in the Olys) or magazine that covers sports, or a company that has a commercial tie-in with the Olys (Nike, Speedo, McDonalds, that sort of thing). You will have to be credentialed about a year in advance. Good Luck!

Jerry

4. plentygood

plentygood TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Haha, yeah, I saw a (video) shot before one of the events that panned across this section of TONS of photographers that filled the frame and it actually looked it could have been one of the Canon ads where you see like 20 photographers with white lenses and red/black everywhere. I hate shooting sports assignments, but I'll be honest, the idea of shooting at the olympics made me pretty jealous of the guys there.

5. janetm1000

janetm1000 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    shoot, i was walking around town that day and i saw a few guys with their passes around their necks and their cameras and i knew where they were heading... sigh....

6. Alex_B

Alex_B No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    it is always depressing when you see the people with passes, and you yourself are one of those without a pass!

7. Antarctican

Antarctican TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I was surprised to hear you have to be credentially a year in advance! But with all the security concerns they have now, I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

8. janetm1000

janetm1000 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    yup. was even more depressing i couldnt even camp out to shoot the fireworks, cause i was sick... when i saw the fireworks on TV i almost cried out in frustration... ergh...

9. Robin

Robin TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks, I figured I'd have to be working for/with a newspaper or something but at the moment that's not the case. A year in advance isn't too bad - with all the planning that goes into the Olympics, I was worried you might have to apply for a press pass right now! I plan on to look into it over the next year though. It would just be such a shame for me to be so close to the 2012 Olympics and not be able to shoot it!

10. LaFoto

LaFoto Just Corinna in real life Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    But hey, you can always try to be one of the crowd creating that nice background of stars from all the flashes used in the largest of venues ;). Like the "Bird'sNest" during the Opening Ceremony. Always the loveliest stars from all the flashes used to illuminate the person-before-you's back of his head ;).
    (Sorry for this ... - slight amount of thread-napping).

11. Robin

Robin TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Oh my God, you're so right, I've always wanted to have photos of the backs of people's heads.

12. Hawaii Five-O

Hawaii Five-O My alter-egos have been banned. :( Now I must be

Photos OK to edit
    you can do volunteer work at the olympics, that way you can get up and close to athletes in the villege and events I am sure.

I looked into being a volunteer at the Torino Olympics, but I ended up not volunteering hah.