beijing olympics

mike11165

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
are you all seeing the incredible images coming from beijing? the frontal shots of Phelp's world record 400 I.M. today are incredible. I hope there are some TPF'ers there getting us some material to C&C in the coming weeks.
Wow what a rich environment for talented photographers
to show their craft. the opening ceremonies were unbelievable.

I was just watching the olympics and saw some photographers in the background and thought "I'd love to be where they are!" I'm hoping if I work hard enough between now and then, I may actually be able to shoot the 2012 London Olympics. We'll probably still be living in England at that point. I have no idea how to go about getting a press pass for that kind of thing but my husband is a former journalist so hopefully he can help. And if anyone else has some advice, please share.

Robin, the only way to get into the Olympics with a press pass is to be assigned by someone (there are close to 15,000 accredited journalists in Beijing). So, you need to start currying favor with some sort of publication or marketing firm that will have an "in" with the Olympics right now, perhaps the local newspaper (yes, small publications can get credentialled if there is a local performer in the Olys) or magazine that covers sports, or a company that has a commercial tie-in with the Olys (Nike, Speedo, McDonalds, that sort of thing). You will have to be credentialed about a year in advance. Good Luck!

Jerry

Haha, yeah, I saw a (video) shot before one of the events that panned across this section of TONS of photographers that filled the frame and it actually looked it could have been one of the Canon ads where you see like 20 photographers with white lenses and red/black everywhere. I hate shooting sports assignments, but I'll be honest, the idea of shooting at the olympics made me pretty jealous of the guys there.

shoot, i was walking around town that day and i saw a few guys with their passes around their necks and their cameras and i knew where they were heading... sigh....

shoot, i was walking around town that day and i saw a few guys with their passes around their necks and their cameras and i knew where they were heading... sigh....

it is always depressing when you see the people with passes, and you yourself are one of those without a pass!

I was surprised to hear you have to be credentially a year in advance! But with all the security concerns they have now, I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

yup. was even more depressing i couldnt even camp out to shoot the fireworks, cause i was sick... when i saw the fireworks on TV i almost cried out in frustration... ergh...

Robin, the only way to get into the Olympics with a press pass is to be assigned by someone (there are close to 15,000 accredited journalists in Beijing). So, you need to start currying favor with some sort of publication or marketing firm that will have an "in" with the Olympics right now, perhaps the local newspaper (yes, small publications can get credentialled if there is a local performer in the Olys) or magazine that covers sports, or a company that has a commercial tie-in with the Olys (Nike, Speedo, McDonalds, that sort of thing). You will have to be credentialed about a year in advance. Good Luck!

Jerry

Thanks, I figured I'd have to be working for/with a newspaper or something but at the moment that's not the case. A year in advance isn't too bad - with all the planning that goes into the Olympics, I was worried you might have to apply for a press pass right now! I plan on to look into it over the next year though. It would just be such a shame for me to be so close to the 2012 Olympics and not be able to shoot it!

But hey, you can always try to be one of the crowd creating that nice background of stars from all the flashes used in the largest of venues ;). Like the "Bird'sNest" during the Opening Ceremony. Always the loveliest stars from all the flashes used to illuminate the person-before-you's back of his head ;).
(Sorry for this ... - slight amount of thread-napping).

I was just watching the olympics and saw some photographers in the background and thought "I'd love to be where they are!" I'm hoping if I work hard enough between now and then, I may actually be able to shoot the 2012 London Olympics. We'll probably still be living in England at that point. I have no idea how to go about getting a press pass for that kind of thing but my husband is a former journalist so hopefully he can help. And if anyone else has some advice, please share.

you can do volunteer work at the olympics, that way you can get up and close to athletes in the villege and events I am sure.

I looked into being a volunteer at the Torino Olympics, but I ended up not volunteering hah.

you can do volunteer work at the olympics, that way you can get up and close to athletes in the villege and events I am sure.

I looked into being a volunteer at the Torino Olympics, but I ended up not volunteering hah.

even if oyu are volunteering.
theres no chance they will jsut let anyone be taht close to the atheletes yanno?
they will prolly backroudn check you, interview you and even if they let you have people watching you.

yeah I imagine they are pretty strict, with background checks and all, but there are quite a few volunteer positions i imagine that let you get close to the Atheletes around the village and events. Like the kids at the tennis matches, tossing balls to the players, they are volunteers.

Yeah I wouldn't want to risk volunteering when I'm not sure volunteers really have that kind of freedom. What if they don't let me bring a camera in? Or what if I need to be doing my actual volunteer work and can't exactly stop to take photos? I'm just going to look into the official route. I'm gonna start looking to freelance for the local papers and hopefully get in that way.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back