Being a Pro Photographer Isn't What It Used To Be

The experienced and skilled sports photographers are still turning out the same high end images they have always put out. What has changed is that because there are a lot more photographers that have access to better gear the number of sports images has increased, in the majority of cases, they are considered acceptable. The local Jr hockey team here has two team photographers, they are both using similar gear to me, they charge $50 per game, only one gets the $50, if they both show up they split it. The images they produce are acceptable, some are pretty good, but they are laced with technical flaws, a little soft, poor crops, colours are off, crooked ice, I could go on. I went out and shot a game they were at, my images were far better. I sent a few to the team, and they wanted to use mine over the team photographers, I said no. If they want to consider using me next season I offered a proposal, and it was turned down, with the reason, we're happy with what we get already and it wouldn't be worth your while. I had not even discussed money, or what else I could offer them but better images. The fact that they were happy with "acceptable" images was all that mattered.

So to answer your question, it has become easier to produce acceptable images, only because people have lowered their own standards as to what is acceptable. Some of what I see online is garbage, even by "acceptable" standards, but they are still being used. It's not always about the money, but that is a factor these days.

Exactly right. "Good enough" and saving $$ is the name of the game these day's.

Professional photography has changed because it has become easier for someone to learn the trade. In the business world, it's not about getting the photo with the best technical qualities, it's about getting the photo that works and at the right price. What I see from successful creatives is that they lose their pride and are only concerned about producing a useable product. The ones who are not successful, spend their time concerned about technical qualities and creativity. That's just not how things work in the business world.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back