Bella?

I know they have a base rate of about $1800 for a wedding. I don't know how much they pay out of that though. I have my own photography business so this would essentially give me extra exposure. I could hand out my business cards and wear my logo'd clothing at each wedding and I figure that'd be great advertising for me.

If you are shooting for a company (I am not familiar with Bella) I would imagine you will have some kind of agreement that you are not to be doing things like this. I would imagine that wering tacky branded clothing to one of their weddings would be a no-no to but I would think something like that would be a no-no anyway as an side I personally would never go to a wedding without a nice shirt and a tie for me snything else would be extremely tacky you should be dressed at leas as nice as a well dressed guest. Anyway as far as them charging $1800 considering what their overhead must be I can't imagine that would leave alot to pay a photographer. On the other side of this though a company imilar to this ould be a good way for someone to get a start as you leave the liabiltiy to them.

If you know you're going to get $10,000 worth of business by breaking a $500 contract then I'd say it looks well worthwhile.
I guess that depends on your personal ethics.

I'd be leery to hire someone who was doing that. What's to say that they won't skip out on me if a better, more lucrative opportunity comes up?

Umm... Shooting a wedding for one company, while handing out business cards for your own company, sounds a little tacky... Don't ya think?

Yep, about as tacky as getting sued because Bella undoubtedly has some form of non-compete agreement so people don't do that.

Yep, about as tacky as getting sued because Bella undoubtedly has some form of non-compete agreement so people don't do that.

The art of signing contracts is crossing out the bits you don't agree with and making sure the other party doesn't notice before they sign and you get a copy :D

The art of signing contracts is crossing out the bits you don't agree with and making sure the other party doesn't notice before they sign and you get a copy :D

Yeah that'll work....

I guess my perspective on this is, why go about unethical, or tacky, behavior, when it's not necessary. If someone was looking at Bella as a source of weddings to fill up their calendar, then okay. Look at the company, decide if you'd want to work for them, and then jump in. (Personally, I wouldn't go near Bella.)

But, if it's a ploy to get clients, then why not develop a good, ethical, respectable, marketing plan - the way any other business would. It's never necessary to act in poor faith in order to build your business.

We have a successful studio. The result of a lot of planning, researching, working, etc. I don't even allow staff photogs to hand out our business cards to wedding guests - a wedding isn't a place to stalk new clients. It's the time to completely focus on the one you have.

I sincerely apologize if I was overly harsh. Wedding photogs don't have the greatest reputation among the public... So, I tend to have a guttural reaction to questionable business practices.

I have done a lot of work in Eastern Europe where it's common for staff sent to meetings with other companies to job-hunt while they're there. Out there, people stab each other in the back on a daily basis in the hope of getting further in the rat race.

From what I've heard of Bella, they don't have a non-compete. That's sort of their schtick.
From their website: "
How We Work

Bella's non-competitive, non-exclusive relationship gives you the scheduling and creative freedom you need to practice your craft without creative limitations. With Bella, you can continue to build your portfolio, improve your skills and earn steady income without having to worry about anything besides being a great photographer."

If you have room in your schedule that you need to fill, or need more for your portfolio, and you're aware of their practices that other photographers find offensive (not sure what those are-- people haven't been specific but I've heard hundreds of generalized complaints), then sure, go for it.

Yeah, I just thinking advertising while your shooting for another company is highly unethical. Reputation is important in any business, and especially in photography. You screw that up, and your going to have to work very hard to bring it back up.

Everyone is critising before we've even seen the contract. If he's hired as a subcontractor then he's employed as his own business so it's fair enough if he advertises himself.

Despite that, rhys, I think you've got the idea of what people on here think of bella.

Quite honestly I don't see a problem with Bella. Any job is a good stepping stone.

Umm... Shooting a wedding for one company, while handing out business cards for your own company, sounds a little tacky... Don't ya think?

Those with too high morals in the business world do not succeed as quickly or as effectively as those who are able to compromise their integrity occasionally. I've seen numerous people run their own business, and the ones who do the best are the ones who plug themselves effectively, and don't become too loyal to one idea or person.

You can try turning the tables. Lets say you worked for Bella, handed out their card, and then quit. And then someone calls up and specifically requests you. Do you think they're going to give them your number? Its a dog-eat-dog world out there.

To the OP: There's nothing wrong with handing out your own personal cards at an event. You might get fired from Bella, though, if they find out. But if that doesn't matter to you, so be it. Do be subtle about it, though. Just tell the people there that you forgot your Bella cards, but that these are your personal ones and they will work just as well.

Those with too high morals in the business world do not succeed as quickly or as effectively as those who are able to compromise their integrity occasionally...

... Do be subtle about it, though. Just tell the people there that you forgot your Bella cards, but that these are your personal ones and they will work just as well.

This is too much. LOL. You're recommending building a business on a foundation of lies and unethical behavior??? Really?

Yeah, you can make some money if you're willing to get a little slimey at times. But, it's not necessary. It's damaging in the long run to your business. And, it's damaging in the long run to the industry.

Bella, has taken a lot of flack in the past year, from both brides and photogs, for some unethical behavior. Yeah, they made some money from it. But, they're still doing damage control today.

For example... Bella was following up with brides who didn't book. They inquired as to why, and who they went with... Then, they told the bride that the photog they did book is actually a Bella shooter - and that they could have saved a lot of money by going through Bella instead of booking directly...

In reality, Bella doesn't offer the same processing or products. The photogs offer very different services to brides through their studios than Bella does. But, the photogs still ended up with angry brides who felt like they were overcharged and taken advantage of by the studio.

That's one example of something that happened fairly frequently, and that caused an uproar throughout the industry. (Bella has claimed it was overzealous sales people and not company policy.)

Brides have their own grievances with Bella.

Regardless, I'm sticking to the opinion that it's inappropriate, wrong, and shortsighted to embrace unethical practices. Such as poaching clients at another studios event.

It would be nice to see more photogs earnestly pursuing new, creative, legitimate avenues of marketing and business building.

What makes you think business is the high moral ground? It's dog-eat-dog out there!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back