Bella?

Dog eat dog is a dangerous game... Often, unethical practices will result in a short term gain, but come back to bite you later.

At the risk of, again, being labeled judgmental... my observation is that the most cut-throat, win at all costs, photographers are often the least adept at business. There's a certain balance, as inadequate business skills are balanced (or are tried to be balanced) with grim determination.

I own two businesses. A successful photography studio, and a couture bridal boutique. I'm not just being combative, there's experience behind the opinions...

Bella has had a run of unethical tactics and is still suffering the stigma. Thing is, they can brunt it a lot better than the little guy since they have lot more standing behind them.

If clients want to pay $300 for 2 hours coverage and a CD/DVD then who am I to turn business away? If they want to pay $1000 for 6 hours coverage and a CD/DVD what's the problem?

I don't understand the question... Maybe it's just been too long a day for me. :eek:)

Value and price your work however you want. That would be another thread entirely if you'd like to discuss it... In most forums it's been pretty beaten to death.

My point, throughout this thread has been: 1) Bella is not a company I would recommend. They betrayed a number of photogs that shot for them. Oh, and many brides have also been left unhappy with Bella. I don't want to be associated with that negative stigma in brides eyes. And, 2) unethical business practices are unnecessary and detrimental to both the photog employing them and the industry as a whole.

Good luck with whatever your decision... Be sure to fill us in on what you decide and how it goes. :eek:)

Listen to Mike. I've tried to stay out of this but come on. The only way to get business is to be unethical? You have no idea how to run a business if that's your stance. In the long run, treating people fairly and being ethical will give you a solid business base and happy, repeat customers who will recommend you to others.

Listen to Mike. I've tried to stay out of this but come on. The only way to get business is to be unethical? You have no idea how to run a business if that's your stance. In the long run, treating people fairly and being ethical will give you a solid business base and happy, repeat customers who will recommend you to others.

I have no problem giving the customer high-quality images. The images are what sells a business - those and the price. "I got a good deal from Joe Bloggs and an excellent product" goes a long way.

Most reactions

Back