Bells Bridge, PS help needed

Resin42

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I took this photo early on Saturday morning. I'm really chuffed with the composition but the light wasn't he best and it was over exposed (I'm still getting to grip with the manual settings)

My first edit I went for a really dark mono to try and bring out the clouds but going back to it a couple of days later it's waaay to dark. Edit 2 I've tried again, hoping to keep the clouds but try and bring some light back onto the structure. I still don't feel I've nailed it.

I've included a copy of the original image if anyone fancies having a go (I can even email you the RAW if you feel like going that length.) Any help would be appreciated.

Plan B is to go back and shoot it in better light :)

Bells_Bridge_by_Resin42.jpg

DSC_0208.jpg

DSC_0208unedited.jpg

What adjustments did you make? Yeah the top one is too dark for sure. I will use levels and color channels to adjust alot of times even when you have desaturated. I like CS3 for RAW work, it has mway more latitude than CS2 had.

bright sky, darker subject... no matter what you do you'll be mildly boned in that situation. PS CS3 has some adjustments like fill light that will help, but you can't overdo it or it'll screw the picture over.

If you have RAW and its a reasonably flexible exposure you might try a composite or an HDR.

What adjustments did you make? Yeah the top one is too dark for sure. I will use levels and color channels to adjust alot of times even when you have desaturated. I like CS3 for RAW work, it has mway more latitude than CS2 had.

I'm working from CS3, I pulled the exposure way back compensated with brightness and as much fill light as it could take without wrecking it, kicked up the contrast and the vibrance but desaturated which has worked very well on some other shots I've taken. I also took the tempreture up then gave it a very slight warming filter afterwards. I've messed with it A LOT. :lol: I did mess around with the colour balance but wasn't happy with the results.

bright sky, darker subject... no matter what you do you'll be mildly boned in that situation. PS CS3 has some adjustments like fill light that will help, but you can't overdo it or it'll screw the picture over.

If you have RAW and its a reasonably flexible exposure you might try a composite or an HDR.

I haven't attempted an HDR image yet, I thought you had to have multiple exposures or do you just make them yourself after the fact?

I suppose there's no real substitute for good light in the end. Oh well.

I guess you have the particular scene/look in your mind that you are looking for, but I love the first photo.

Much appreciated, I just can't help feeling it could be better. The detail works well in mono but the main support spike is just too dull.

I haven't attempted an HDR image yet, I thought you had to have multiple exposures or do you just make them yourself after the fact?

I suppose there's no real substitute for good light in the end. Oh well.

You have to have multiple exposures to do it, but a RAW has a few exposures worth of "give" in it, so you may be able to get the exposures you need out of it.

Actually, i like the darker one. Looks more of a eery dark scarry night :p

black & white of #3 minus the face in the clouds would be cool...

have a good one
3Eo

Most reactions

New Topics

Back