Bend in the River

abraxas

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit

Last edited:
Very nice - wish there was scenery like that here (well close by anyway lol)

Thanks. I wish this were a little closer too. Zion is about a 450 mile drive from where I live. I am glad though that I have good scenery much closer though.

If only something could be weaving through that gap in the background. A small plane, glider, maybe even a dragon ;-).

Nice shot, even without the dragon.

If only something could be weaving through that gap in the background. A small plane, glider, maybe even a dragon ;-).

Nice shot, even without the dragon.

Thanks. I like the natural and naked Earth stuff. I go through pains to keep man-made junk out of my shots, well unless it's junk--I like shooting ghost towns and ruins. :)

I was just studying this though, and think it's a pretty good example of how a partially overcast sky brings out fully saturated colors in the rocks while the hole in the clouds lets the sun shine full blast over the river providing raking light in the trees on the right. However, notice the trees on the left. The shadows don't string out and are more directly under. How strange to me. I'd have thought they be of more equally proportionate length.

Couple of examples of raking light so I can dwell on this, 'phenomena.'

http://aeve.com/1tpf/x-raking-light/raking-light-0001.jpg

http://aeve.com/1tpf/x-raking-light/raking-light-1804.jpg

:)

Those look pretty good. I wish I had the chance to take more natural shots myself, but living in Toronto lets me down for that.

Thanks. It's not as easy as it was. The area near my house is swarming with people now. More and more the desert is disappearing as people build on what is considered cheap land. I can't photograph fast enough. This should be an unusual archive someday. I don't know if I mentioned it earlier in this post, but Zion is a long way from where I live.

If I'm right, angels landing is to the right and up, correct? Great shot.

Thank you. I think you are correct. I wish economy things would pick back up, I'd like to spend a week or so exploring the area in detail. Did you go up to the landing?

I like your work a lot.. I hardly visit this subforum, but if I see your name pop up in the 'new posts' I will always open it.

This shot is great, I just love how you cover every area of your frame with sooo many midtones, it always amazes me.

My critisism is this: In the upper left hand corner (I know you mentioned it was overcast) Did you spend time burning there? It looks off to me, but I can't really tell from the small version.

Thank you Kelley. I've been looking at the corner trying to figure out what you mean. That's probably about the only area I didn't spend huge amounts time on. If you meant the splotchy color more toward center-left in the rock, that's pretty much like it was. I did try to bring it out a touch with a burn. But like maybe 7%.

I may do the whole thing over. I went with HDR to try to punch up the sky and fore/midground trees. After I was into it awhile I thought I could have done better with a slightly underexposed raw. Live and learn I guess.

Most reactions

Back