Sure is neater than my workbench.Ron G

Attachments

• $P1010001.jpg
    $P1010001.jpg
    310.3 KB · Views: 120
  • $P1010006.jpg
    $P1010006.jpg
    250.7 KB · Views: 135
I just picked up a mint N80 + 28-80 lens for $90 shipped off of feeBay. I can't find a good DSLR for that cheap. Tri X Pan till death I say!

I'll have to post a pic of my old frquency counter with pixi tube display I got surpluss form the Army Navy store for $5. It came out of a 1940s submarine.

I'll have to post a pic of my old frquency counter with pixi tube display I got surpluss form the Army Navy store for $5. It came out of a 1940s submarine.
What is the operating voltage for submarine stuff like that?
I have something here that looks pretty sophisticated that needs 28 volts which is aircraft material I think.My work area is just about due for another major cleaning,there are things there accumulated from 40 years or more.I often buy new items because I can't find what I need when I know that I have it:))Ron G

Attachments

• $DSCN0039.jpg
    $DSCN0039.jpg
    322.6 KB · Views: 113
  • $DSCN0040.jpg
    $DSCN0040.jpg
    345.9 KB · Views: 120
Check out the specs on my HP 521a counter described at the top of this page.....

http://www.prc68.com/I/HPac4a.shtml#M

I have the HP 521a Military version rack mount. It's 120VAC standard plug, maybe been converted? Anyway it is not from the 40s but made in the 50s rack mounted in subs I was told by the guy in the store. I was 11yrs old n spent a years worth of allowence to buy it. I lugged it home in a shopping cart, carried it up 4 stories, it weighed a ton!

It was simplay amazing to be able to measure frequency, I had to have one. I also enjoyed using it on those cold winter nights, the heat it gave off was great.

Now let me see if I can post a pic of her, that's more of a challenge than carrying my counter.

Some of us still consider that stuff a treasure.I used to hang around a guy (retired military) that had a locomotive engine in his back yard for the generator because the local power provider could not supply the energy he needed for the R+D he was doing with lasers etc.This was back in the '70s.He had a rack full of gear with those pixie tubes for displays.That is where I learned to exercise an analog meter that might be sticky with a low frequency low amplitude pulse to free it up.
I do the same thing today with a function generator.I have even taken pics of the light meter being swept at a low shutter speed to show the movement.This was the meter in my Voigtlander Vito CL.
My Nikon 950 and 990s have very good macro capabilities and the pics show a lot of detail.
This gentleman has probably passed on by now (Bob Horwinski) but I will always remember the things that he showed me as he took me under his wing to help me along.Ron G

I'm a newbie to all of it (8 months total). i started because of the Lomo store in manhattan, but the costs of developing 120 soon caught up with me. I cut back on the film and bought a digital; EPL1. I love knowing right away if i want the pic or not, without the cost of developing.....but there is something about film that digital can't duplicate...its the feel of ,say,age. Take a b/w photo of an old wrought iron fence with 120 and then digital....you'll see what i mean....but with digital it doesn't matter if i shoot 1 or 1000 pics,it's just a chip!

I'm a newbie to all of it (8 months total). i started because of the Lomo store in manhattan, but the costs of developing 120 soon caught up with me. I cut back on the film and bought a digital; EPL1. I love knowing right away if i want the pic or not, without the cost of developing.....but there is something about film that digital can't duplicate...its the feel of ,say,age. Take a b/w photo of an old wrought iron fence with 120 and then digital....you'll see what i mean....but with digital it doesn't matter if i shoot 1 or 1000 pics,it's just a chip!

Hey Newbie. I'm new to dslr and this forum. I think it's cool that we're drawn to this thread.

Mick

....I often buy new items because I can't find what I need when I know that I have it:))Ron G

I am building my workshop in a spare room and I found I had 43 screwdrivers. I did the same. Bought new... lost them... bought some more new..... lost them. But hey new tools are always fun.

Thanks for sharing the pictures of your workshop.

Cheers
Jim

Amzing how the old timers took us kids under their wing. The old German fellow in our building was a photographer/camera reapirmen and ham operator elctronics tinkerer. So I got involved in everything as a kid with lots of good advice n an education I can never get in any school.

So yeah film to me is mother's milk, digital is store bought formula.

The "feel" talked about is so very true. But today with silver papers being so lousey, it's hard to get that feel anymore.

I also love the look of old cameras, they are so nostolgic. People are always stopping me when I shoot to ask about my camera. Most of the older folks remeber having one in the family as a kid.

My life needs to change a little.I have a new (to me) lens for a Bessamatic that I haven't even tried yet and that is a shame.I love to shoot my Konicas but just can't find the time.When I leave the house I grab one of my Nikon SQs and I'am off,that's no fun.I hardly ever use it when I am out either.Sad.Ron G

Most reactions

New Topics

Back