Benjikan is my hero! 2 pic comparisons using his workflow

ashfordphoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I used Benjikan's workflow method provided on this forum and I'm super happy with the results. I'm not sure it's meant for landscapes - but my pictures look better than what they did (IMO).

So THANK YOU BENJIKAN!! :hail::hail::hail::hail: Now I'll have to play more to get things right.

I'll post the original, then the processed using workflow pic for 2 different pictures taken this morning. Let me know what you guys think I can do to help these out more. Are the new ones too harsh?

1a.
newcameracanoneos004546546576.jpg

1b.
newcameracanoneos00454654workflowfr.jpg

2a
newcameracanoneos034e334565465.jpg

2b
Gatekeeperfinalframed7.jpg

yeah I'm thinking that too. I just got excited is all :wink: I should mention that in the fullsize images it doesn't seem as harsh as these scaled down ones. But, I'm still thinking harsh.

how much is a little less in your book (eyes)? You think a solid mix of the two is good?

well in the second set of pictures, the process has accentuated some aberation as well as created haloing on the needles of the tree.

if you are doing this in layers I'd just adjust the opacity of the sharpened layer until the haloing dissappeared and aberations weren't as noticable.

What numbers did you use from his workflow, max? min? somewhere in between. I'd use the min and work from there.

You've got great pictures to work.

EDIT: also make sure you are applying his process to full sized images if you can. sharpening the smaller resolution pictures will lead to more artifacts sooner.

I used the mins. I didn't notice the haloing until you showed it to me. That definitely does need to get fixed - I also see it around the kissing camels rock in the background against the sky.

Should I do all parts in different layers? Or just worry about it starting with the mins and taking them down some so it's not so dramatic?

Thanks for your critique & tremendous help!

I used the mins. I didn't notice the haloing until you showed it to me. That definitely does need to get fixed - I also see it around the kissing camels rock in the background against the sky.

Should I do all parts in different layers? Or just worry about it starting with the mins and taking them down some so it's not so dramatic?

Thanks for your critique & tremendous help!

Im not sure as I haven't tried Benjikans process yet myself.

You could try to do it in seperate layers, but it looks as if the whole thing needs to be toned down, so 1 layer would suffice. Just modify a duplicate of the background, and then you can change the opacity on that layer to add or subtract the effect.

okay - so here is a high-res (aka big and long download, sorry!) starting point. I tried my hand, but it would be super if you had at it and tried to give it some pop. :)

newcameracanoneos034111.jpg

Ah! Garden of the Gods. I used to rock climb there often when I was in college. Thanks for the memories.

newcameracanoneos034111hq3.jpg
I don't think I'd even use that surface sharpening technique here. These seem as vivid as you would want them.

I might try editing these to bring out a little detaif in the shadows in the background.
l

The sharpening looks good, because your first images are a bit soft/blurry. The soft layering technique to bring up the colors is a bit much though, the sunset on the rocks is color enough.

awesome. thank you all! Learning new techniques is always fun, I just need to learn how to not over-do it :)

I used Benjikan's workflow method provided on this forum and I'm super happy with the results. I'm not sure it's meant for landscapes - but my pictures look better than what they did (IMO).

So THANK YOU BENJIKAN!! :hail::hail::hail::hail: Now I'll have to play more to get things right.

I'll post the original, then the processed using workflow pic for 2 different pictures taken this morning. Let me know what you guys think I can do to help these out more. Are the new ones too harsh?

1a.
newcameracanoneos004546546576.jpg

1b.
newcameracanoneos00454654workflowfr.jpg

2a
newcameracanoneos034e334565465.jpg

2b
Gatekeeperfinalframed7.jpg

Isn't that why we are here, to pass on our knowledge to others to pass on to the following generation. Your images really "pop" very 3D...They are gorgeous. Amazing..Really!

What I can share I will..

From PentaxForums:

As I am a more hands on Photographer, I can''t always be of great help when it comes to very specialized technical areas of concern. What I can do, is share my experience, my passion and my love of this craft. I can give you more of my heart than my head. I can talk about the "Biz" in general from my perspective. I can give you advice if I am able and try to guide you in a positive direction. But don't think it isn't fatiguing...it is. I can be pragmatic when it comes to very specific questions about the workings of the profession.

Ben

yeah I'm thinking that too. I just got excited is all :wink: I should mention that in the fullsize images it doesn't seem as harsh as these scaled down ones. But, I'm still thinking harsh.

how much is a little less in your book (eyes)? You think a solid mix of the two is good?

Trust your "Eyes"..What does your gut tell you?...Your gut, not mine. It is what pleases you.

Everyone will give you a different opinion. By the time all of the opinions are in you will have what is called a consensus. If that is what you want, that will be what you will get. That is not a bad thing. It happens all the time in my business, between the Art Director, Client and myself. But I fight like an M F'er to get what I want...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back