Best 50mm Lenses for Nikkormat FT3

Hey everyone!

So I'm looking for a 50mm lens for my Nikkormat FT3 and I was wondering which one is the best one for such an old camera. From what I have read so far, the Nikon 50mm F1.4 AF is one of the best lenses Nikon has ever produced. Obviously, the FT3 doesn't have AF, but would that lens still work with my FT3? And would the light meter still be functional? I saw a few Nikon lens compatibility charts, but none of those had the FT3 in it.

If this lens doesn't work with my camera, are there any other lenses you guys would recommend?

Also, if you have any suggestions for a good 35mm lens that would work with my FT3, I would love to hear them! :D

P.S. I hope this thread is in the right forum. :D

I have the Nikkor 50mm f1.8 on my FT3 and so far I've been happy with it. I picked it up at a garage sale for $35. Plenty of nice bokeh at 1.8, but sharp pretty much all the way through.

"Rule 408: Time is not the boss of you"

Whoa,whoa,whoa...why in the heck do you want an f/1.2 normal lens? The vast majority of your best images will likely be made at f/5.6.

What is normal about that lens? :D

This guy is great to deal with, honest, and has reasonable prices. I would grab this if I was in your shoes.

Nikkor 3510553, 50mm f/2 AI normal lens

Unfortunately, he only ship within the US.

I have the Nikkor 50mm f1.8 on my FT3 and so far I've been happy with it. I picked it up at a garage sale for $35. Plenty of nice bokeh at 1.8, but sharp pretty much all the way through.

Over here it is almost impossible to get those at that price. :(

Oh, I didn't realize you were not in the US. Sorry about that.

Not sure where you hearing it but the Nikon 50mm f/1.4 is a terrible lens.
Their f/1.8 is way better.

chuasam said:
Not sure where you hearing it but the Nikon 50mm f/1.4 is a terrible lens.
Their f/1.8 is way better.

Depends on what 50/1.4 is being talked about....the Nikkor 50mm f/1.4 Ai-S (beginning around 1977) is a fine lens with good coatings; the 50/1.8 Series E flares badly in tough lighting; the 50/1.8 Ai-S was at first an excellent lens in the rare flat-nose type, but was replaced by an inferior model that carried the same specification, so basically there are a few million "Nikkor" f/1.8 Ai-S lenses that are basically the pancake 50/Series E rebadged.

The earlier 50mm f/2 in the RIFR (rubber inset focusing ring) era, AFTER the 50/2 H.C. era, is a SOLID lens, albeit with just a 6-bladed iris. I've had two 50/2models, which were NEVER offered as factory AI lenses, but many 50mm f/2 models with the rubber inset focusing rings WERE Ai-converted as part of the official Nikon $35 AI-conversion program. The issue is: it's just easier to use an AI or AI-S lens on a camera that has AI index metering! Annnnnd, its easier to use a real, manual focusing lens on a camera like an FT-3.

For a person using an older film camera with focusing aids in the viewscreen, the AI or Ai-S 50mm f/1.4 Nikkor is the "good lens" of its era, and it is factory AI set-up, AND it has the secondary aperture readout scale on the lens aperture ring, which is how the user "sees" the f/stop in use, reflevted by a miror using the camera's ADR or Aperture Direct Readout system.

For an FT3, or FE or FM user, or for other film bodies, I think the 50.1.4 Ai-S is a good lens, especially for wider-aperture use. The rare, short-production 50/1.8 "flat nose" lens was espcially awesome, but it was only made for like 9 months before they "went cheap", and moved another lens into the 50mm f/1.8 spot.

The best 50mm?

Meyer Optik just announced an f/0.95 for only US$3000. At that price, it must be good. At the moment, it's only Sony's e-mount. Or how about Leica's latest f/1.4 for only US$5295? (Sigh, still the wrong mount.) But really, well over five grand for an f/1.4 on a "general purpose" lens?

Nope. At 1/10th of the price, and a 5-star rating, it's hard to do better than the Nikkor f/1.2, even for serious users. (And at (almost) 1/10th of that price, you can get a Yongnuo 50mm f/1.8 for Canon that gets better ratings than the Canon version...) I've not used a Leica, so maybe I'm just not experienced enough to appreciate the difference. But I still have a hard time imagining that it's 10 times or 100 times better than the alternatives.
I wonder what the DoF at 10 ft would be at f/0.95

My suggestion.

Nikon Nikkor 50mm F/1.4 AI Manual Focus Lens {52}

It's alright. Is the price on there the maximum someone should spend on that lens? Or is the price that "low" because of the shape those lenses are in?

Is the AI-S version just as good as that one or better? Some people say there isn't a big difference between them, some others say they are worlds apart.

So right now it seems like (almost) everyone can agree that the f1.4 AI-S is a solid lens. And everyone seems to love the 50mm f2. I actually had another idea. Since the 50mm f2 isn't that expensive and most of them are in really good shape I could just go for that one. And at some later point I would also get the Nikkor 28mm f2.8. Now the question is which version of the 50mm f2 is the better? If I decide to go for this one, should I go with the AI or Non-AI version? And the earlier ones or the ones that came after '72 with multicoating?

Oh, this might be a bit off topic, but I have a question regarding the the FT3's metering system. I noticed that sometimes the AI metering and the stop down down metering method give me different readings for the exposure. In a room with normal lighting they both give me the same reading, but when I point the camera out of the window and measure the exposure, I get slightly different readings (generally a stop apart). Is this normal? I read about some jumpy needle phenomenon, but I don't think this is it, as the needle isn't "jumping" around.

It's alright. Is the price on there the maximum someone should spend on that lens? Or is the price that "low" because of the shape those lenses are in?

Is the AI-S version just as good as that one or better? Some people say there isn't a big difference between them, some others say they are worlds apart.

So right now it seems like (almost) everyone can agree that the f1.4 AI-S is a solid lens. And everyone seems to love the 50mm f2. I actually had another idea. Since the 50mm f2 isn't that expensive and most of them are in really good shape I could just go for that one. And at some later point I would also get the Nikkor 28mm f2.8. Now the question is which version of the 50mm f2 is the better? If I decide to go for this one, should I go with the AI or Non-AI version? And the earlier ones or the ones that came after '72 with multicoating?

Oh, this might be a bit off topic, but I have a question regarding the the FT3's metering system. I noticed that sometimes the AI metering and the stop down down metering method give me different readings for the exposure. In a room with normal lighting they both give me the same reading, but when I point the camera out of the window and measure the exposure, I get slightly different readings (generally a stop apart). Is this normal? I read about some jumpy needle phenomenon, but I don't think this is it, as the needle isn't "jumping" around.

I would say that the price is very fair considering everything. The damage to the filter ring was honest but it also didn't effect the use of one. I have bought several things from him, including parts he doesn't list. He is just a good man, plain and simple. Too bad he doesn't ship outside US.

I would say that the price is very fair considering everything. The damage to the filter ring was honest but it also didn't effect the use of one. I have bought several things from him, including parts he doesn't list. He is just a good man, plain and simple. Too bad he doesn't ship outside US.

Well, I'm sure he would do it for people that are trustworthy, so people with enough positive reviews. I found an AI version for $120 and it seems to be in pretty good condition. Should I go for it? Here is the link.

Well, I'm sure he would do it for people that are trustworthy, so people with enough positive reviews. I found an AI version for $120 and it seems to be in pretty good condition. Should I go for it? Here is the link.
Looks good to me.

Looks okay, a bit chipped and worn on the front outside of the filter ring area, as you can see under the lens cap, but it has the Ai coupling notch and the secondary aperture scale, and so it should be really easy to use on the FT3. It has some wear on it, thru the paint finish in front of the focusing ring, which means this lens has been either used, or carried a lot. BOTH, I would guess, based on the small chipping and the wear it shows through the paint; if you want a super-clean, low-use one, this is likely not that. Just so you know!

Looks okay, a bit chipped and worn on the front outside of the filter ring area, as you can see under the lens cap, but it has the Ai coupling notch and the secondary aperture scale, and so it should be really easy to use on the FT3. It has some wear on it, thru the paint finish in front of the focusing ring, which means this lens has been either used, or carried a lot. BOTH, I would guess, based on the small chipping and the wear it shows through the paint; if you want a super-clean, low-use one, this is likely not that. Just so you know!

Yeah, I did notice that. I'm pretty sure there are a few scratches on the lens as well, but it doesn't say whether they are noticeable in the final picture or not. I also found this one. Seems like it's worth the extra $20. I also found one in mint condition, but it would be $220.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Alright, so here is a quick update. I decided go with the Nikkor 50mm f2 AI lens. I will post a few pictures once I have the lens and I have time to develop the film.

I also wanted to thank everybody that commented on this thread. I really appreciate all the advice you guys have given me! This thread will be a little guide for my future lens purchases! :D

Oh and I have come to the conclusion that Derrel is a walking encyclopedia. :D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back