Best 6x7 medium format camera

The mamiya 7 is a fantastic camera, just a bit pricey:

mamiya7.jpg

So what would be a better type of medium format camera the SLR or the TLR? I started to look at 6x6 cameras and love the square photo but it is not for everything. I also really like the 6x7 cameras. What I really to shoot is landscape. I do not have a studio or shoot portraits. Landscape is my passion and trying to decide which format would be best is tough. I am still very new to MF but have been reading a lot about it but I still cannot get a grasp on which type of camera to get. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Dan

If you are into landscapes, a SLR would be a better option. Interchangeable lenses & film backs will give you a lot of versatility.

TLRs are great for Street shooting and handhelds.

A 6x7 SLR is going to be much larger camera than a 6x6. Something to think about if weight is an issue for you.

Nice to see love still exists for the tank like Pentax 67. Mine is beat up and still chugging away without any problems. On the other hand, my preference while out and about is with the Pentax 645. Yes I know this thread specifically mentions the 6x7 but I figure I should mention it. Pentax 645 + 3 lenses + 645toKmount adapter + Pentax LX makes for a really nice package.

Dan,
Roger Hicks and his wife Frances Schultz wrote a book called "MEDIUM AND LARGE FORMAT PHOTOGRAPHY-moving beyond 35mm for better pictures" published by Amphoto Books. Highly reccommended as a primer in Medium Format photography. Somewhat dated, but gives you a good idea of what your options are and how to determine what camera suits your needs best, giving you a more informed overview of various systems.

I started to look at 6x6 cameras and love the square photo but it is not for everything.

Actually, it can be for everything. But it is not for everyone. Some people just don't seem to get into the square format and crop everything back to a rectangle in which case they could have saved money and gotten a 645.

The square does take a bit of getting used to and looking at things a bit differently. There was a guy who posted here once who had nothing but square landscapes and they were quite beautiful.

I would compare it to learning to see in B&W.

if landscapes are you passion, then why not jump all the way up to 4x5? a nice speed graphic is cheaper then many 6x7 options, and you can always add a 120 back to it if u like.

I have bought Mamiya RZ67 Pro II last year [in July or August], and still i didn't shoot with it much, just used it last week for first time and has my first film roll developed but the results was bad because i didn't meter and it was a test and i ruined the film in heat so the colors are bad, but what i believe is that this camera is phenomenal, i didn't buy it if i know it isn't.

my favorite is a plaulbel makina, a lovely folder.

My advice would be to look for a bargain on a functioning medium format camera, and spend as little money as possible on it. Then shoot it for a year. After the year you will know a lot more about what you want in a medium format camera. Medium format cameras are much more specialized than 35mm SLRs. They vary much more from brand to brand and model to model.

You said you shoot landscape. I used to shoot with a Pentax 67II. I found that it was just as big and heavy (heavier actually) to carry as a 4x5 press camera. With the 4x5 camera I could shoot roll film in a variety of formats (6x6, 6x7, 6x9, 6x12...) with the right roll film back and 4x5 sheet film. You know how 6x7cm makes 35mm look tiny? 4x5in does the same thing to 6x7cm. :)

I don't know what P67's are going for these days, but I'm sure you could find a good Speed Graphic body and a great lens for under $800.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back