Best all purpose/travel lens on a budget?

MrMbss1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This summer I'll be going on a trip to Kos, Greece, and I thought it might be time to get a better all purpose lens that also works for travel than the 18-135 kit lens I'm using now.

I'm using a 70D, APS-C, as my main camera, plus an older 50D, also APS-C, that I've gotten modified for full spectrum (mostly using it for astrophotography). I don't have any intentions of upgrading to fullframe anytime soon, but I can't say i'm not going to in the future.

Up until now, I've looked at the following lenses:

Canon 17-40mm F2.8L
Looks attractive to me, but i feel like the focal length is going to limit me somewhat.
Also: Red Ring​

Canon 24-105mm F4L
Looks very attractive to me, especially the long focal length, but im afraid the 24mm will we very long on APS-C.. I also have a slight worry about the slower aperture, but I'm not sure about that. Red Ring.​

Sigma ART 18-35 F1.8
I'm very impressed by this lens, but the limited focal length is what keeps me from choosing this.. It doesn't seem like a good choice for all purpose when it's that limited. I love the look of the lens, probably more than one should.​

My price range is about 750-1000$

I'd stick with the kit lens given those alternatives.

Unless you DO go to full frame, and then I'd get the 24-105 as a general lens.

use your budget to pack in some extra sight seeing / helicopter tours or get out to more of the greek islands - they're beautiful - although maybe give Karpathos a miss

I'm not limited to the lenses I listed, those are just a few I've looked at and have considered.
It's a family trip, and what we'll be doing has already, almost, been planned and is on a fairly limited budget too.

I'm really on the market for a better all purpose lens..

I just went through a similar type of decision for my upcoming trip. If you are looking to to get a new lens the 24-105 would be the most versatile but the 18-135 already covers that range and then some and its not a bad kit lens. That was the same lens that came with my 70D and I used it a lot before I started moving to prime lenses for everything. If you like the Sigma 18-35 and you are set on getting a new lens thats what I would go for. I guess it depends on the kind of pictures you like to take. Ive heard really great things about that lens but im pretty sure its APSC only but if you dont think you might go FF at all or anytime soon its probably the one I would choose in that range for APSC.

I think on APSC the 18-35 equates to something close to 28-50 which I would think would be good for walking around and some street photography as well as still being wide enough for some nice city/landscape and architectural shots. The 18-135 has IS but it dosnt do well in lower light. IIRC its 3.5-5.6. I think you would really like continuous 1.8 on the Sigma.

All that said I dont think I would call the 18-35 an "all purpose lens". These are just my thoughts Im still a noob so take what I say with that in mind.

I just went through a similar type of decision for my upcoming trip. If you are looking to to get a new lens the 24-105 would be the most versatile but the 18-135 already covers that range and then some and its not a bad kit lens. That was the same lens that came with my 70D and I used it a lot before I started moving to prime lenses for everything. If you like the Sigma 18-35 and you are set on getting a new lens thats what I would go for. I guess it depends on the kind of pictures you like to take. Ive heard really great things about that lens but im pretty sure its APSC only but if you dont think you might go FF at all or anytime soon its probably the one I would choose in that range for APSC.

I think on APSC the 18-35 equates to something close to 28-50 which I would think would be good for walking around and some street photography as well as still being wide enough for some nice city/landscape and architectural shots. The 18-135 has IS but it dosnt do well in lower light. IIRC its 3.5-5.6. I think you would really like continuous 1.8 on the Sigma.

All that said I dont think I would call the 18-35 an "all purpose lens". These are just my thoughts Im still a noob so take what I say with that in mind.

Even with the Sigma not being as "all purpose" as the others mentioned, I could really see myself using that lens. I think i read somewhere that the 17-40mm has continous f4 too.

I think i might go with the Sigma, unless something else pops up or someone changes my mind.

The 17-40 is f/4 all the way through and it is a full frame compatible lens as well. So you should consider that in your decision but Id be much more tempted to go with the sigma. :) Considering they are both pretty much the same price and neither have IS id go with the Sigma.

I am partial to wider angle lenses. I love them! I think outside of "all purpose" travel you would love it. I ended up getting a 6D so now I make sure all my lenses are full frame compatible. But I've often thought about how cool it would be to have both the 18-35 1.8 and 50-100 1.8 that sigma offers. Those two lenses together would pretty awesome in my opinion.
If they were not aps-c only I would probably already own both.

The 17-40 is f/4 all the way through and it is a full frame compatible lens as well. So you should consider that in your decision but Id be much more tempted to go with the sigma. :) Considering they are both pretty much the same price and neither have IS id go with the Sigma.

I am partial to wider angle lenses. I love them! I think outside of "all purpose" travel you would love it. I ended up getting a 6D so now I make sure all my lenses are full frame compatible. But I've often thought about how cool it would be to have both the 18-35 1.8 and 50-100 1.8 that sigma offers. Those two lenses together would pretty awesome in my opinion.
If they were not aps-c only I would probably already own both.

Now you're making me want to go with both the 18-35 and the 50-100.. I can already hear my wallet cry.

For now I'm gonna get the Sigma 18-35, later i might get the 50-100 when the wallet has gotten fatter again.

Thanks for your input! :)

Haha I hear ya. Just FYI though B&H sells the two together as a kit for a small discount which also includes the USB lens dock for updating firmware and AF customizing as well as a UV filter for each. $1898 USD.

just FYI :fangs:

I had the siggy 18-35 and as good as it was I did find focal length limiting. I bought a sigma 17-50 f2.8 and get much more use from that one. Ymmv

Haha I hear ya. Just FYI though B&H sells the two together as a kit for a small discount which also includes the USB lens dock for updating firmware and AF customizing as well as a UV filter for each. $1898 USD.

just FYI :fangs:
As good as that sounds, I can't afford to spend almost 2000$ on a hobby at this time :apologetic: Just spend almost 3000$ on my drivers license only a couple of months ago, so the money is somewhat limited atm.

Use the kit lens, supplement it with a 10-18 and a 20mm pancake.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back