Best (and most) Zoom for $1000

Nikon Zoom Telephoto AF VR Zoom Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6D ED Autofocus Lens (Vibration Reduction) $1429.95

I like this..
or something similar
Does Sigma have an equivalent to this?

Yep exactly the same range on both aperture and focal length, new price is around 1,350 dollars, havent looked for it on apart from retail sites so no idea what the actual price is.

Alternative is the 135-400 f4.5-5.6 retails for about 800 dollars.

I have the 80-400 Sigma with OS, and I love it although I've never used any other zoom like this to compare it to. (PS, the OS this lens has offers stability both horizontally and vertically, something I heard Nikon's VR does not do.)

My dad got it for my used from a friend for only 500 bucks, and it's a $1,000 lens new (I imagine its a bit less now, you probably will want to buy it used). It works really well for zoo pics, bird watching and nature hikes, and whatever other subjects I like to zoom in on. ;)

Sigma has a 120-400 and a 150-500 coming out in April.

I would wait to see how those work before making final decision.

Both are in the $800-$1000 range. I believe they have Nikon + Canon versions.

I love my "L" lens, but to save $300-$400 I can use Sigma ;)

Some good advice so far.. thanks.. I would love to hear more from people who may already have a 300, 400 or 500mm lens thats worth under $1400.

(PS, the OS this lens has offers stability both horizontally and vertically, something I heard Nikon's VR does not do.)

The 18-200 does have horizontal and vertical VR. It detects panning and automatically disables VR in the panning direction. That feature can be turned off so that VR functions in both planes 100% of the time. This lens is called "VR-II." I don't know if other lenses with the earlier VR version also functioned this way.

The 18-200 does have horizontal and vertical VR. It detects panning and automatically disables VR in the panning direction. That feature can be turned off so that VR functions in both planes 100% of the time. This lens is called "VR-II." I don't know if other lenses with the earlier VR version also functioned this way.

Oh ok I was waiting for someone to expand on that, I thought that Nikon would have it but I didn't know what lenses it has it on.

I think I now have my mind set on the Sigma 50-500mm F4-6.3 EX DG APO HSM
Goes for $999.99 on B&H and I'm having trouble finding bad reviews.

Anyone have any thoughts? Anyone have this lens?

I think I now have my mind set on the Sigma 50-500mm F4-6.3 EX DG APO HSM
Goes for $999.99 on B&H and I'm having trouble finding bad reviews.

Anyone have any thoughts? Anyone have this lens?

I have one.

I call it "The Beast" because it really is a beast of a lens.

4 pounds plus to lug around, and plan on dropping another $100 if you want a decent UV protector filter on it because it uses an odd size.

The lens is fairly sharp, not bad at all. Build quality is excellent.

People complain about the "lens creep" but this lens doesn't creep, it shoots out as fast as a gun if you point it down... it does have a lock though if you care about that stuff.

Focus is good and accurate on my Nikons... keep in mind it is a 6.3 at 500 mm which means some Canons will struggle to AF with it.

I shoot entirely handheld (I don't even own a non-astronomical tripod), and I find the lens is tricky to get a clear shot with unless it is completely braced at over 300mm.

500mm lenses have a shooting style all their own.

Plan on shooting HIGH ISO even in sunlight unless this thing is on a tripod at more than 300mm... it takes me 1/1000th of a second to hold it steady when wracked out to 400+

Here are a couple of pix I took with mine. They are not great pix, it is just went into the back files and dragged out a couple to give you an idea of what the lens does:

hippo.jpg

Above, EXIF: D80, 50-500 "Bigma", 1/1000s f/9.0 ISO800 420mm

rhino.jpg

Above, EXIF: D80, 50-500 "Bigma", 1/500s f/8.0 ISO800 195mm

Great response... That's what I like to hear.. I can see myself buying a monopod when I pick this up. Thanks sabath

I don't suppose you'd settle for a 500mm-1000mm mirror lens?. It's within your budget - by a long shot.

Or if you really want to impress some folks and want to forget about your $1000 limit, you could try obtaining one of these 1200mm-1700mm bad boys!

Or if you really want to stop the show, you could settle for a 2000mm.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Great response... That's what I like to hear.. I can see myself buying a monopod when I pick this up. Thanks sabath

Check back later on this thread, I went out and took a couple quick bird shots at my feeder with my D300 and the BigMa to give you another look at what it does.

Actually only one turned out decent the rest sucked (birds were not cooperating).

I popped it a bit with the sharpness (24,5,4 in Capture NX) this is at 500mm handheld, EXIF: 1/800s f/13.0 ISO1600

vfinch.jpg

By the way I do not recommend shooting this lens at over 300mm handheld... I just don't own a tripod... they cramp my style.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back