Best Bag

O'Rork

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm looking for the best bag to hold a Nikon D series, the three kings and the 800 flash and the other typical stuff. Any suggestions?

I am pondering the same question, although I do not have the three kings, I basically shoot with prime lenses. I am looking at the Tamrac pro 8 series and the Domke F2 or the FX1, which is a little bigger. The reviews are very good on all three but I do not know anyone who use them. I have two Tamrac bags, a small 3 series and a backpack style. They are both very good, and seem very durable. I do not make a living at photography, so it's long weekend shoots and every once an a while a shoot during the weekdays. They show little wear, have "broken in" nicely, and are comfortable after a hard day shooting. The Tamracs are padded well, as the Domkes are not so much, and the prices are close, hopes this helps. I still don't know which one I will end up with.:lmao:

I have the Tamrac 8. I guess I'll just have to live with it and load for the situation. I like the bag. I have the 70-200 2.8 mounted and the 24-70 2.8 and the 50 1.4 in the bag. No room for the 14-24 2.8 unless I leave the 24-70 2.8 out......Never!
A backpack is out of the question. Shoulder surgery and arthritis you know. Thanks for replying.

The one thing I do not like about the backpack style is you have to lay it down to open it up. The side that is against your back, which is subject to mud and snow and "muck" :grumpy: So that is why I am looking to switch back to a shoulder style. I don't have the gear you do except the 70-200, I shoot primes until I need the reach. I am trying to conserve the weight, so I have changed what I shoot with, still trying to get a handle on it. I figured the photographers before me shot some of the greatest shots known with primes, so why can't I. I'm no spring chicken anymore :lol: so I completely understand your journey.

I have the Tamrac cyberbag express as my travel bag.

I love it. It holds my D700 with battery grip, D300, D200 IR, SB-800 speed flash, Nikon 70-200 vr f2.8, Nikon 300mm f/4 AF-S, Nikon 17-55 f2.8, Nikon Micro 105mm 2.8, Nikon 85mm 1.4, 15 in laptop and a ton of acces.

It is carry on size, has wheels and a pop handle to pull thru airports and and other surfaces for that matter (big wheels). It has backpack straps if needed.

Very durable and very padded... I have went thru many bags.... This is the first one that fits my needs... I carry the luggage thru airpots and my wife wheels my camera bag..... and she don't mind :lol:

Cheers, joe

There really is no "best bag" in general, but I've found the "best bag" for me is actually two bags.

#1 - Tamrac CyberPack 8 - This carries pretty much everything and it weighs in at 32 pounds. It is my daily carry (I need the computer for work and I like to have camera gear with me). In it, I have:
- D300
- All five lenses
- Cleaning supplies for lenses and sensor
- Dell Latitude Inspiron 1720 laptop (17" monitor... BIG laptop)
- Power supply for laptop
- Oodles of cords/cables/batteries/business cards/photographer's rights pamphlets/etc...
- SB-900

#2 - Tiny little Kalt that's as old as I am - this is just large enough for the body and an extra lens or two, depending on the lenses. I can throw extra camera batteries in it and other essentials. I use this for when I'm gonna be more mobile, like hiking a park or whatever. I'll load up the Kalt with the lenses I think I'll need, and then lock the CyberPack in the boot.

I am looking at the possibility of a SlingShot or something similar to replace the Kalt.

You say you prefer shoulder bags.

For me, the best is Tamrac. I have "settled in" with Model # 608 and 610, but you can adjust up or down in size based on your needs and preference.

Be patient and you can find them pretty affordable on CL and eBay.

I have had a 608 from my film days, maybe 15 years, and it is doing just fine. Should last another 10 years for me.

Good luck with whatever you get...

Last edited:
I'm a huge proponent of Crumpler bags. I own three, they are as addictive as crack.

Not all backpacks require you to remove them and lie them down.

Check out the Lowepro Flipside series, great stuff.

Hey AVERAGEJOE, I did look at the Crumplers, so which one do you have ? They do have my interest up, and what gear do you use in them. Thanks

I have the Sinking Barge backpack in it goes: 15" Macbook Pro, Canon 40D, 28-70mm L, 50mm 1.4, 28-135mm IS and 17-40mm L. Hoods for all lenses, memory cards, memory card reader, 2 extra batteries, charger and other misc cords/cleaning supplies.

All of the above except for the laptop goes into a previous generation 7 Million Dollar Home, it's a messenger bag.

The other Crumpler I have is the Considerable Embarrassment, which is basically just a case for my laptop when I don't need all my photo crap. One important thing to note is I don't have any really long telephotos like the 70-200mm L, so if you've got one of those you might want to look into the Wickney and Cox as it supports more lenses/bodies.

Check out their website, it's has videos and dimensions etc.

I am thinking the 6 or 7 million dollar home, I have the 17-55 mm on camera and the 70-200 mm as my secondary lens. I also have the SB 800 and all the other stuff that comes with this gig. I wished someone in my area carried them, would like to see them in person.

Most reactions

Back