Best ballhead/tripod combo for under $100 ??

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by AdamZx3, Jul 29, 2007.

1. AdamZx3

AdamZx3 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I am looking at a better tripod to upgrade to, preferably something with a removable head so I can upgrade to a premium head later if I need to.

I really wanted a ball head because my "fluid like" 3 way head is just a pain and stinks if you use have to frequently re adjust it. I narrowed it down to these, but if there's a better option please let me know

My setup is a D80 and the longest/heaviest lens is the 70-300VR

$60 Sunpak 4300 PRO

$79 Sunpak 3300 PRO Tripod (holds 11 lbs)

$112 Manfrotto 725B Digi-Tripod A bit over budget but do-able

I am leaning towards the last one, more so because of brand name, is it worth the 40 extra bucks over the sunpak?

2. jwkwd

jwkwd TPF Noob!

You will probably find out that the ball heads on lower cost tripod's will either stick, move while you adjust them, or just fail. It ( IMHO ) does not make sense to put a higher end ball head on low cost legs. Try to save a little longer for a better set-up, it will pay off later.

3. Sw1tchFX

Sw1tchFX TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    go with the bogen, I have the sunpak 3300, and it's absolute junk. I use it as a light stand for my SB-600 because the head can't hold up a camera. I doubt the other one is really that much better.

4. gryphonslair99

gryphonslair99 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Before you buy a tripod you might want to give this article a read.
    http://www.bythom.com/support.htm

You do not need to spend as much as the article. However IMHO I believe you would be better off saving your money now and getting something that will serve you better for a long time. Something like this is very popular and quite stable.
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/353322-REG/Bogen_Manfrotto__3021BPRO_Tripod_Black_with.html

By the way, you might want to read the specs for the tripod you choose.
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/428998-REG/Bogen_Manfrotto_725B_725B_Digi_Black_Tripod.html

Ball head is not removable.

5. AdamZx3

AdamZx3 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Ahh, thank you, I did not check out BH photos specs....shame on me :)

While I was looking I saw for about 170 you can get the Manfrotto 190XDB Tripod Legs with 486RC2 Compact Ballhead. Some reviews on amazon say that its very stable with a 30d and a 400mm lens. This tripod seems to have pretty good reviews, and the ballhead is a lot sturdier (holds 13.2 lbs)

I realize that I will have to get a better one if I go pro, then I wouldn't mind spending $300 on a ballhead, and I do like that one in your link but I can't afford 270 right now...the 170 is really pushing it, I just got a sb-600 this weekend. All and all I can imagine it will serve its purpose for a hobbyist and it should be miles ahead of my $35 sunpak pod. :) Like switch said it makes a decent lightstand lol.

I'm pretty sure I have my heart set on this one...seems to be a decent value.