Best bee in flight so far

Dagwood56

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I finally managed to catch two bees in flight that are half way decent: C&C welcome.

1. hand held, iso 100, f4, 1/500, no flash, Sigma 105mm macro lens

DSC03852gd.jpg

2. hand held, iso 100, f4, 1/500, no flash, Sigma 105mm macro lens

DSC03854c.jpg

Very nice captures! I can't help but notice they are always flying away from you, bee phobia? ha ha, jk. It seems to me that both pics could use a little more color saturation

Nice shots!

Now you just have to douse yourself in honey so they fly toward you! ;)

Thanks everyone for the comments. As far as more color saturation, I'm old school I guess, I prefer my shots to look like I actually see them, though I will admit these could be a bit brighter. I think I'd be more inclined to try using "levels" than saturation though. :D Thanks.

Nice shots!

Now you just have to douse yourself in honey so they fly toward you! ;)

They fly toward me and I duck for cover. :lol:

Nice shots Carol. Did you feel foolish with the camera glued to your face as you run around chasing them down? :lol: I know I did.... a little bit anyway...

As far as more color saturation, I'm old school I guess, I prefer my shots to look like I actually see them, though I will admit these could be a bit brighter. I think I'd be more inclined to try using "levels" than saturation though. :D Thanks.
Fair play, but think of it as enhancing rather than manipulation. Whatever method you choose, I think they can be brought out to pop a bit more. Here and here are two of mine.

Those are awesome!!

(kundalini, your links don't work)

Let's try this again, shall we.....

Here and here

Sorry Carol, I was trying to avoid a highjack..... :blushing:

Nice shots Carol. Did you feel foolish with the camera glued to your face as you run around chasing them down? :lol: I know I did.... a little bit anyway...
Fair play, but think of it as enhancing rather than manipulation. Whatever method you choose, I think they can be brought out to pop a bit more. Here and here are two of mine.

I did wonder a few times if any of the neighbors were watching and wondering what I was trying to do. :lol: The bees have most of their nests in the wooden fence..... too bad they were not as cooperative on my bleeding heart plants :( then I would have had some real color to work with.

Both of your bee shots are fantastic! I'll have to play around with mine a bit more and see what I can do....I have this "thing" right now about over saturated greens, which I won't get into here, but it's the reason I made my earlier comment ;) but I do agree that they could pop a bit more. Thanks. :D

stsinner -Thanks

Last edited:
I adjusted the 2nd shot a bit, not sure I see a lot of difference. More saturation loses what little detail there is in the leaf and makes the green too garish in my opinion so I just upped the contrast a bit.

DSC03854cadj.jpg

it's difficult scrolling up and down to see the difference, but your edit certainly adds a bit more punch doesn't it? :thumbsup:

it's difficult scrolling up and down to see the difference, but your edit certainly adds a bit more punch doesn't it? :thumbsup:

I guess i should have put the edit up in the original post :blushing: , but I agree, it does pop a bit more, Thanks. Now my next challange is to capture a bee in flight on some colorul flowers and hopefully have the bee at a better angle....don't hold your breath though, it could take a while :lol::lmao:

Most reactions

Back