Best Birthday Present EVER!!

Ysarex

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Some history: Couple years ago I was tinkering around in the garage and hobbled together a rudimentary small box solar oven in which I successfully baked some potatoes and then lost interest. My wife remembered and this year I got a real solar oven. Been using it for a couple weeks now and I'm having the best time. I LOVE THIS THING!!

Snapshot:

solar_oven.jpg

Currently baking a chocolate layer cake. So far my most ambitious effort last week was a 5 pound pork roast which took 5 - 6 hours. When the cake is finished I'm off to the market where they're advertising beef brisket for $2.99 lb. Next sunny day.....

Joe

That is cool

It's been on my wish list for the past year.

I haven't seen one of these in years!! Sometimes the simple things are the most fun!!!!

You gotta do it! I am having the best time with this thing.

cake.jpg

In the past week I've done roast chicken with cauliflower and onions, corn bread, a 5.5 lb pork roast, brats on a bed of cabbage, onions & carrots, and today a layer cake. Without the stove/oven in the house competing with the AC I figure it has to pay for itself eventually.

Joe

In the past week I've done roast chicken with cauliflower and onions, corn bread, a 5.5 lb pork roast, brats on a bed of cabbage, onions & carrots, and today a layer cake. Without the stove/oven in the house competing with the AC I figure it has to pay for itself eventually.

Joe

It's kinda useless......................... unless it can cook............................................................ bacon..................................................................

Joe

It's kinda useless......................... unless it can cook............................................................ bacon..................................................................

I'll let you know. Should be able to handle it -- reaches a sustained temp of 350 F.

Joe

Huh...well I never! Cool gift.

Joe

bacon.jpg

On the chewy as opposed to crispy side, but easily cooks bacon. Tomorrow is cloudy with a chance of storms. Monday will be sunny and I've got the beef brisket ready -- going for a 5 pound brisket. Open to any suggestions about how to season it.

Joe

Basic Brisket Recipe-

Lots of Black Pepper and Salt

3 teaspoons butter
2 cups chopped onions
3 tablespoons tomato paste or a few large tomatoes chopped
1 teaspoon minced garlic
3 cups chicken broth, beef or vegetable stock

Optional:
Sear/Brown the brisket first in a pan or grill. Heat up a large pot with a lid, or a Dutch Oven. Then hot add a tablespoon of neutral oil like grapeseed. Sear for about five minutes on each side. Transfer beef to a platter.

Wipe out pan and return to stove and add butter. When butter foams add the onion and cook at least ten minutes. Add salt and pepper, stir in tomato paste/chopped tomatoes, add garlic. Toss the meat back into the pan, add the stock and cover. Cook over low heat turning the meat every 30 minutes until it is tender ... about three hours. If the sauce is too thin, remove meat from pan and boil down the sauce. Taste sauce and season to taste. Slice meat and return it to the sauce.

I use a lot of herbs in my brisket ... largely because I have a lot of herbs.

Basic Brisket Recipe-

Lots of Black Pepper and Salt

3 teaspoons butter
2 cups chopped onions
3 tablespoons tomato paste or a few large tomatoes chopped
1 teaspoon minced garlic
3 cups chicken broth, beef or vegetable stock

Optional:
Sear/Brown the brisket first in a pan or grill. Heat up a large pot with a lid, or a Dutch Oven. Then hot add a tablespoon of neutral oil like grapeseed. Sear for about five minutes on each side. Transfer beef to a platter.

Wipe out pan and return to stove and add butter. When butter foams add the onion and cook at least ten minutes. Add salt and pepper, stir in tomato paste/chopped tomatoes, add garlic. Toss the meat back into the pan, add the stock and cover. Cook over low heat turning the meat every 30 minutes until it is tender ... about three hours. If the sauce is too thin, remove meat from pan and boil down the sauce. Taste sauce and season to taste. Slice meat and return it to the sauce.

I use a lot of herbs in my brisket ... largely because I have a lot of herbs.

Many thanks. I wasn't thinking tomato, but I like that -- will consider it.

Joe

Most reactions

Back