Best books to start out with?

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by billybob, Mar 14, 2007.

1. billybob

billybob TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I've been unable to find a reasonably priced photography course in my area and have decided that perhaps the best thing to do is buy a good book on the topic.

I recently purchased a digital slr (Nikon d70s) and am interested in learning how to use all of its features effectively. I have never owned an SLR (digital or otherwise) before, and need something that will teach me all about apertures, focal length, white balance and everything else.

I am also interested in learning composition theory to help me take better photos whether with my digital slr or with a point and shoot camera.

I've looked through Amazon for books on these topics and the number of results is staggering. Are there some books that stand out above the rest?

2. bytch_mynickname

bytch_mynickname TPF Noob!

I would suggest Understanding Esposure by Brian Peterson. Very good book that teaches a lot. It is a book that is recommended over and over again here on TPF.

3. rmh159

rmh159 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I would also suggest going to the library, getting a card and then cleaning them out of photography books.

4. billybob

billybob TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks for the recommendation, I will probably be picking this up. However, the description on amazon describes it as being for "For serious amateur photographers who already shoot perfectly focused, accurately exposed images". I need something that will teach me the basics as well.

5. rmh159

rmh159 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    This suggestion sounds brilliant. :lol:

6. 250Gimp

250Gimp TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    A simple beginner book is by Scott Kelby, and I think the title is "Digital Photography". I know the author is correct if I am off on the title.

7. billybob

billybob TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I don't have time to drive to the library. I'd rather order whatever books I need and read them during down time at work.

8. stone_cold

stone_cold TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    If you dont have time to go to library how do you expect to have time to take photos? jk jk

9. billybob

billybob TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Any other recommendations? I'll probably be placing an order for some books later on today.

10. rmh159

rmh159 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    LOL yeah I'm usually a "Libraries are for dorks" person but when I look at the cost of buying books vs the cost of late returns... it's not much of a decision. ;)

11. jepry

jepry TPF Noob!

The Digital Photography Book by Scott Kelby.

I just got this book and it is not a theory book if thats what you are looking for. The idea of the book is that he is talking to you as if you were on a shoot with him. He doesn't tell you how shutter speed/aperture, etc work...he just says do this and that to get this shot.

If you are looking for more explanation on photography, I am taking an online class right now and the textbook we are using is called "Langford's Starting Photography, A guide to better pictures for film and digital camera users" It pretty much covers everything, and as a beginner myself I found this to be very helpful, and then try reading the Scott Kelby book.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Langfords-Starting-Photography-Fourth-pictures/dp/0240519671/ref=sr_11_1/103-9206466-9940607?ie=UTF8&qid=1173982155&sr=11-1[/ame]

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Photography-Book-Scott-Kelby/dp/032147404X/ref=sr_11_1/103-9206466-9940607?ie=UTF8&qid=1173982200&sr=11-1[/ame]

Hope this helps!!

12. rmh159

rmh159 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Along the Scott Kelby note... he does a Photoshop podcast at PhotoshopTv.com and there's usually some good photography content on there. It's a 30 min video released once a week.