Best books to start out with?

billybob

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've been unable to find a reasonably priced photography course in my area and have decided that perhaps the best thing to do is buy a good book on the topic.

I recently purchased a digital slr (Nikon d70s) and am interested in learning how to use all of its features effectively. I have never owned an SLR (digital or otherwise) before, and need something that will teach me all about apertures, focal length, white balance and everything else.

I am also interested in learning composition theory to help me take better photos whether with my digital slr or with a point and shoot camera.

I've looked through Amazon for books on these topics and the number of results is staggering. Are there some books that stand out above the rest?

I would suggest Understanding Esposure by Brian Peterson. Very good book that teaches a lot. It is a book that is recommended over and over again here on TPF.

I would also suggest going to the library, getting a card and then cleaning them out of photography books.

Thanks for the recommendation, I will probably be picking this up. However, the description on amazon describes it as being for "For serious amateur photographers who already shoot perfectly focused, accurately exposed images". I need something that will teach me the basics as well.

A simple beginner book is by Scott Kelby, and I think the title is "Digital Photography". I know the author is correct if I am off on the title.

I don't have time to drive to the library. I'd rather order whatever books I need and read them during down time at work.

I don't have time to drive to the library. I'd rather order whatever books I need and read them during down time at work.

If you dont have time to go to library how do you expect to have time to take photos? jk jk

Any other recommendations? I'll probably be placing an order for some books later on today.

If you dont have time to go to library how do you expect to have time to take photos? jk jk

LOL yeah I'm usually a "Libraries are for dorks" person but when I look at the cost of buying books vs the cost of late returns... it's not much of a decision. ;)

A simple beginner book is by Scott Kelby, and I think the title is "Digital Photography". I know the author is correct if I am off on the title.

The Digital Photography Book by Scott Kelby.

I just got this book and it is not a theory book if thats what you are looking for. The idea of the book is that he is talking to you as if you were on a shoot with him. He doesn't tell you how shutter speed/aperture, etc work...he just says do this and that to get this shot.

If you are looking for more explanation on photography, I am taking an online class right now and the textbook we are using is called "Langford's Starting Photography, A guide to better pictures for film and digital camera users" It pretty much covers everything, and as a beginner myself I found this to be very helpful, and then try reading the Scott Kelby book.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Langfords-Starting-Photography-Fourth-pictures/dp/0240519671/ref=sr_11_1/103-9206466-9940607?ie=UTF8&qid=1173982155&sr=11-1[/ame]

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Photography-Book-Scott-Kelby/dp/032147404X/ref=sr_11_1/103-9206466-9940607?ie=UTF8&qid=1173982200&sr=11-1[/ame]

Hope this helps!!

The Digital Photography Book by Scott Kelby.

Along the Scott Kelby note... he does a Photoshop podcast at PhotoshopTv.com and there's usually some good photography content on there. It's a 30 min video released once a week.

I just got the Kelby book and I like it a lot. He mixes humor (some really bad humor...LOL) and like someone else said it's more of a how to take this picture kind of book. But he's got me into a few better habits already.

I bought the "Complete Idiots Guide to Photography like a pro" to "refreash" myself after a looooong absence from photography. It is surprisingly a handy book!

Brian

I know you were asking for books but there are also 2 good magazines you can buy. They are from England but if you have a Barnes and Noble near you, you should be able to get them from there. They are called Practical Photography and photography Monthly. They are a little pricy at $8.50 each but they have a wealth of information for the beginner and yet the more experienced photographers can learn from them too. I buy them every month. They often have articles on focusing, getting the exposure right and other related topics. They also have extensive info on digital photography. I have been reading PP for nearly 20 years now! PM is much newer but is also a very good read.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back