Best Camera for Night/Complete Darkness

wisdominlight

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am looking for a camera that doesn't get completely grainy when I take night shots. I do paranormal investigations and the camera I have, the pictures get VERY grainy when taken at at night.... any suggestions/recommendations? I have heard that Fuji and Sony are the best at night/complete darkness shots, but I thought I would check here and get some recommendations. I'm looking to buy a new camera in the next couple of weeks and I'm hoping to spend under $500, closer to $400 if possible.

Wait, I thought super grainy, blury images were important to paranormal investigations.

From what I've seen from Nikon, you're gonna need a D3/300/90 for decent high ISO/low light low noise photos. Those are going to run you $900+ without lenses to start.

Point and shoot cameras are not good at night photos. Some may be slightly better than others, but I think they will all pretty much suck.

Thats one of the reasons why photographers go with SLR cameras, as they have a better sensor (CMOS vs CCD) and are able to get good quality photos at higher ISO.

For a P&S camera, I would think that 400 or even 200 is the highest you could go to get something good. With a pro DSLR, you are looking at 3200-6400.

Canon 30D. $400ish used. It'll be leaps and bounds above your point and shoot, but then you're going to learn how to use it.

All cameras require some light.. er.. relatively a lot of light. For complete darkness shouldn't you be researching cameras with night vision capability?

No such thing as a camera for complete darkness. :lol:

You need something with a CMOS sensor, for starters. Something like the Canon 30D would be okayish, but I would assume that you won't use flash at all, so you're still going to have to punch it up to the highest ISOs to get a reasonable shutter speed.

Paranormal investigations????? :lmao: Sorry, I'm too grounded in reality to take such things seriously. Blame television. It's just to easy to fake so there is no way, none, possible to collect irrefutable proof.

The best performing high ISO DSLR camera right now is the Nikon D3, about $5000, body only.

Paranormal investigations????? :lmao: Sorry, I'm too grounded in reality to take such things seriously. Blame television. It's just to easy to fake so there is no way, none, possible to collect irrefutable proof.

Well I wasn't going to say anything but, yeah, what he said. :lol:

I am looking for a camera that doesn't get completely grainy when I take night shots.

'Ain't going to happen. Best clean high ISO camera on the market currently is the Nikon D700 or D3. It is a few dollars more than 500, though, not even going to mention that the basic lens you need already exceeds your budget by a good amount.

I think you would have gained a little more credibility by not stating what you were using it for... and having a more reasonable budget. ;)

Most reactions

Back