best camera for shooting stills and videos

jenjend3

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello,
I'm looking for a dslr camera that not only can take great pictures but to shoot a great video as well, and when i say great i mean very hight quality. So the nikon d810 takes nice pics but no great video... the sony a7r 2 shoots a great video but not the best photos... Maybe i should just buy a camcorder and a dslr?
I'm shooting a cooking blog so i need both video and photo... What would you recomend?
Thanks

What? the A7R II has better image quality than a D810.

Don't forget cameras are limited to 29 minutes of continuous video recording to prevent sensor burnout, etc.
Whereas Video Camera can record for as much memory that they have.
If you are editing and splicing everything then time doesn't matter.

I don't know where you got your research on quality of video or stills though.
Can you reference some of your research ?

High quality images/video is mostly a function of photographer/videographer skill and knowledge rather than which camera is being used.

DSLRs have limited video capabilities, unless you're willing to add a range of accessories that aid the production of video.
So yes, I would recommend a DSLR & a quality & dedicated video camera.
DSLRs cannot beat quality & dedicated video cameras, though used peoperly and with the right accessories DSLRs can come real close to equaling a quality dedicated video camera.

Don't forget cameras are limited to 29 minutes of continuous video recording to prevent sensor burnout, etc.
Whereas Video Camera can record for as much memory that they have.
If you are editing and splicing everything then time doesn't matter.

I don't know where you got your research on quality of video or stills though.
Can you reference some of your research ?
That used to be the case, but not so much anymore. At least not in the mid to high end DSLR market. The 29 minute 59 second limit is one of political creation. Back in 2006, the EU to classify high-end digital cameras as video recorders, which attached a customs duty of 5-12% for digital cameras imported into Europe. This however may go away and quite soon. It is an issue being discussed by the WTO as it is only the EU that has this added tax. They are looking at not only cameras but other items that the EU has imposed the duty tax upon.

I don't know if it has been done for any Canon cameras yet but there is a Nikon hack for the D3100, D5100 and D7000 that removes the time limit.

ok changing the question a little bit... do i need adslr camera for shooting a cooking blog or is a good quality camcorder is enouthg?

nowadays, a cell phone would do.

For your budget I would recommend Canon EOS 80D.
I have been using in for over a year for my work and that was an amazing experience. I would even say it is the best camera for portraits nowadays.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back