Best camera to purchase?

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by dcmoody23, Dec 31, 2009.

1. dcmoody23

dcmoody23 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hi, I'm 16 and I'm a SERIOUS art student (currently in high school). I currently don't own a camera but have saved up some money and am looking to make a purchase. I want something that will be good for sports photography, but at the same time is rather versatile for different types of photos (especially people & macro). I am looking to spend around $1500, but because I want something that will last me and that I can use in my art portfolio and in art school while training with photography I will spend more if it is worth it. I have been looking at the Nikon D90 for a while now but I'm concerned after reading reviews about a slow shutter speed (for sports).. I am looking for both a camera and a lens or lenses, or a package where i can get a discount (but with good lenses please) would be great too.

Any help or suggestions will be much appreciated.

Thanks.

2. percent20

percent20 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Just from research, your price point and my bias I would say get a D90 and a couple of extras with your $1500.

3. icassell

icassell TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I would seriously consider a clean used body which will leave you more to spend on glass. I don't know the Nikon line, but a used Canon 40D can be had for the mid $500's if you look around.

4. iBats

iBats TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    haha sports photography with a budget of 1500 bucks ahahahaha

a good fast 400mm lens can run you 6 grand, and if you want something with fast fps 4.5+ then you gotta spend at least 1600 on the camera

and dont forget the monopod hehe

5. percent20

percent20 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    100% agree with this.

OP you are fortunate to have saved up 1500. I had to sell a bunch of my stuff to get to 375 to buy a Nikon D40 refurbished. I haven't had any problems with it so far and generally prefer factory refurbished things over brand new.

check Digital cameras, all other cameras and everything photographic from Adorama Camera for some good deals on cameras.

6. PhotoXopher

PhotoXopher TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    D90 Body (4.5fps) = $800 shipped.
    Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 or Nikon 80-200 f/2.8 = $800

Total = $1600

7. iBats

iBats TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
  8. dcmoody23

dcmoody23 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Okay first, I'm 16, and so laughing at my 1500 budget isn't exactly something I respect (although I will spend more)... this would be high school sports I'm photographing, too.. I'm just looking for something I can use in my portfolio.. A temp., not something I'm going to be using when I'm 50.

9. iBats

iBats TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    i know you're 16, im 17 and also a serious amateur photographer im just saying that you have to realize sports photography is the most expensive form of photography, especially if you go pro, and fine im not telling you not to expand your portfolio, go ahead, just realize that 1500 bucks will get you a decent body and a decent lens, dont expect shots that will blow your mind

10. dcmoody23

dcmoody23 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Primarily looking for something I can use a learning tool, a cornerstone, a beginning.. I'm sure you all remember what camera broke you into the world of photography, and I doubt it was a camera with a $7100 lens... Yours posts are rather insulting and degrading..
    An F.Y.I. to you is that I was fortunate in inheriting over $10,500 that are in stocks, however I refuse to touch that money until the economy recovers... So don't bother recommending me a $6,000 camera

I appreciate all of the serious responses, though.

The used camera sounds like a good idea, but I'm quite skeptic of spending some of my savings on something that would have no warranty. I'll be sure to look further into it, however, and appreciate your opinions.

11. dcmoody23

dcmoody23 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Okay, thanks. I will keep the sports for personal entertainment & learning for now then and use something that can showcase my eye for phototraphy in my portfolio. I didn't intend to use the sports photographs in my portfolio anyways.

12. PhotoXopher

PhotoXopher TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit