Best camera to purchase?

Great, thank you all for all of your responses...

After what Ive gathered here I think I'm going to get either a new D90 (or maybe swing for a new canon 50d) or find a higher grade used model (although as previously stated, I'm quite skeptical of getting something with no warranty that has been previously used). And get a fair priced lens that I can use for reasonable versatility until I can explore what types of photography is specific that I'll be getting into.. (and what I'll need for lenses + equipment for optimal results)..
Thanks a lot.

I will add my .02 and tell you to go for it. Nikon or Canon, D90 or 40D will be a great camera for you to learn with and it will be several years before you outgrow it.

Whichever make you decide to go with I recommend you get the highest quality lenses you can afford. You will be able to use them when you upgrade and will last you a long time if well taken care of.

As others have said, fast glass is what you need for sports. f2.8 in whatever focal length you decide will give you huge advantages in lower light.

Get a decent external flash and you are ready to go. Have fun and good luck with your aspirations. I am impressed you have $1500 to get you started. Waaayyy more than I had to get started. :)

Thanks a lot for you response! It's nice to know that the money I put into lenses isn't going to just dissolve when I upgrade my camera in the future.. Now, I have a few quick questions if someone has the chance to answer them ... Will a 200mm lens be able to focus on close objects (I know that may be a dumb question), and if not would it be worth it to spend the money on a macro lens? I'd like to purchase just one quality lens for now & wait and save some more before I buy another..
& also is it worth it to spend the money on a lens that can shoot auto focus? I'm guessing to do anything moving that would be a yes?

Well I've pretty much ditched the thought of sports as a subject of my work... I will still do it for fun, but not anything serious...

Which is the better camera? The nikon d90 or the canon 50d? This may be like comparing apples to oranges but from my understanding canon has much better customer service and software than nikon.. Any thoughts on this?

like those people said, get the D90 to start out with. Very good camera. Took a picture of the Kardashians with it last year and it came out great. And use a lens with f/2.8 aperture or larger for indoor sports. Good luck with your ventures kid. Keep sending photographs to different people like crazy and you'll eventually get someone to call you

Well I've pretty much ditched the thought of sports as a subject of my work... I will still do it for fun, but not anything serious...

Which is the better camera? The nikon d90 or the canon 50d? This may be like comparing apples to oranges but from my understanding canon has much better customer service and software than nikon.. Any thoughts on this?

They're not really a direct comparison.

The 50D costs a good deal more than the D90.

The 50D is made of metal and weather proof, but is $1400.
The D90 is cheap and good and only costs like $850 now.

Buy a D90 and a lens with an fstop of 2.8 or better.

Okay, I think I've found a really great deal..
Let me know what you think.
Canon EOS 50D (Body only) w/ 3 month warranty certified refurbished for $775 shipped
OR
Nikon D90 New for about $800 shipped
Should I do it? Or keep looking?

Most reactions

Back