Best Camera under $1000?

dracalud

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have two 40D cameras. I shoot sports, like paintball. Have a great set of lenses. Want to upgrade and also be able to shoot portraits and weddings.

What should I do if can spend about $1000?

1. Buy a friend's 5D for $1100?
2. Buy a new 7D and sell one 40D?
3. Buy a used 1D Mark IIn or 1Ds Mark II

Lenses: Tokina 10-17mm fisheye, 16-35mmii, 24-70mm 2.8 L, 50mm 1.8, 85mm 1.8, 100mm 2.8 macro, 70-200mm 2.8

Help! You guys are the experts -what should I do?

I'm not quite sure exactly what you think you'll be able to do with a new body that you can't already do with the very capable 40D.

I'd probably suggest the 5D, since you already have two crop frame bodies. It looks like you have mostly full-frame lenses anyway.

Portraits and weddings would GREATLY benefit from having a full frame body,especially with the lens set you already own. You have two very fine Canon zooms, the 16-35 Mark II and the 24-70 2.8. Both of those would be good for event work, with the 16-35 being pretty good on a 40D indoors, and a 24-70 outdoors where its longer focal length range will be helpful on a 40D.

The FF 5D is a good imager--lovely defocused backgrounds due to the much larger sensor and shallower DOF, and the 5D would be excellent with the 85 and the 70-200 for portrait work where you want a large capture area, high quality images, and the ability to shoot at elevated ISO settings while still maintaining quality.

A 40D + 5D combination would "leverage" the lenses you already own. The 7D is the least-desirable camera IMHO, while the 1Ds Mark II would be a nice addition,since it is full-frame,sells for reasonable prices these days, capable for portraiture and weddings, and also capable for sports.

I vote 5D or 1DsII as well. Grab one of those full frame bodies.

5D or 1Ds2, the FF bodies offer a totally different perspective, and keep a 40D for speed.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back