Best cameras under 500$ under 1000$ ???

Ya, the only way to become an official SG is to be featured on the front page, or win one of the contest, but anybody can have photo sets on their profiles.

I know, I've lived in WA, OR, CA, NV, CO, AZ, and now TX, and texas weather is the worst!

Now I've got my eye on the Canon XT, D30, D60, D10, or powershot S1.

The powershot would be my first choice if only it was more remote compatable. I found a wireless remote for it but reveiws said it only worked like 6 feet away and if pointed directly at the camera, won't work like hidden behind the back.
The D30, 60, and 10 are old but cheap and would probably still be good enough for me, not sure.
Canon XT is newer, affordable and fully remote compatable.

Dominantly
Let me know if you need help with the photo editing.

Splitting a gut here. :lol:

From my viewing of photo forums I get the impression that Canon & Nikon rule in north America but Olympus does in Europe. Four thirds & micro four thirds do not seem to have caught on here in NA.

Dominantly
Let me know if you need help with the photo editing.

From my viewing of photo forums I get the impression that Canon & Nikon rule in north America but Olympus does in Europe. Four thirds & micro four thirds do not seem to have caught on here in NA.

The europeans are just scared of the Gods....I've been watching too much Xena.

It's due to Americans' attitude that more is better....more lenses, more accessories, more sensor surface area, more usable ISO settings, more rental houses that actually have Canon and Nikon equipment to rent, and more opportunities for resale.

Here's one 2008 breakdown on s-slr sales, by brand

Nikon: 40.7%
Canon: 40.6%
Sony: 8.6%
Olympus: 5.3%
Pentax: 4.4%

If you want access to a system that has tilt/shift lenses, affordable supertelephotos, and some of the best zoom lenses, Canon and Nikon have all those things. When you want to unload older,used equipment, when 40 percent of the shooters use "your brand", it means you can sell 3-4-5 year old lenses for about what you payed for them, or even more than you payed for them, even adjusted for inflation. At least, if you bought a Canon or a Nikon lens, and not a Sigma or Tamron or Tokina--AND the mount the lens is in is for Nikon or Canon.

If one wants access to a Full-Frame body or two,as well as crop-sensor bodies, Canon and Nikon and Sony are the only makers who offer multiple sensor sizes. Nikon has the best TTL and remote flash system on the market, with Canon in second place. Sony uses a proprietary Sony-ONLY flash shoe. Olympus makes some very good high-end lenses, but has basically no prime lenses,and its sensor is the smallest of all the current d-slr makers, making it one of the worst bodies for High-ISO applications. If a fellow wants to rent an exotic piece of equipment, in almost all 50 states, Canon or Nikon are the only two d-slr brands most rental houses stock,since the two brands together comprise over 80 percent of what actual users are shooting.

You are a moron.

Hey it's the internet, your personal attack doesn't bother me:lmao:

You bash my post, now the OP is considering getting a D40 or D90.

And not because of your post....

Also, why didn't you correct Sw1tchFX who was the first responder, who ALSO recommended the D40.

I didn't see his post.

And who is the one "throwing a post out". At least I somewhat answered the OP's question, what's the best camera for under $500 or $1000. What did you offer? :thumbdown:

You answered the question with zero explanation.

If you read post #14, I DID offer something of susbstance, a short explanation of an intervalometer. I wasn't aware that aftermarket intervalometers could be used with a body which doesn't have the function.

Also, the D90 like other have said, has the ability to use a intervalometer.

Key emphasis on other.;)

Hey quit bickering in my post, this is suppose to be about me! :grumpy:

I still don't know what ****ing camera to buy!

I have decided to get the Canon Powershot G10

Cause I'm a Gangsta

First, with just a camera, no matter how good the camera is, you're not going to get SG quality results with what I know of your plan. If your hope is to buy a camera and shoot SG quality images to be accepted you're going to miss that mark by a LONG shot. Your images (especially if you go with a point and shoot) will look technically horrible if for no other reason you won't have proper lighting.

You need a DSLR.

You need at least two external flashes. If your primary lighting is going to be external flashes and not the more expensive studio strobes, go with Nikon because they have the "Creative Lighting System" (CLS) which gives a novice good results prett quickly. You will have to spend a little extra money as bodies like the D40 lack the CLS system.

Next, and most importantly, you need about 6 months of HEAVY practice using lighting and back drops. to get the SG look. You'll likely never achieve the look you need without a real photographer behind the camera while you pose (you trying to pose and shoot yourself will never get you where you need to be for SG I fear).

People tend to think all you need is a camera and you get professional results. You need a camera and lighting... then the practice to know how to use them both to get the results you want.

My suggestion:

Have a friend with a camera take some shots of you. They don't have to be great, but modeling shots which have several different back grounds and looks. Use these to get an account on Model Mayhem (Where Professional Models Meet Model Photographers - ModelMayhem).

Once on Model Mayhem (MM), you can network with local photographers that will shoot with you on a trade for services basis. If you're shooting nudes, you'll find no shortage of photographers that will work with you. Carefully screen them by reviewing their work and ask for references. Talk to other girls via email that have shot with him and look at their pics. Find the photog you like and schedule a shoot. This is the cheapest and fastest way to get to what you want. You will have to be up front with him that your images will be used for a SG portfolio so as not to violate any terms of use regarding the images.

Here's a sample of a photographers MM profile (mine!): ModelMayhem.com - inTempus - Photographer - Valparaiso, US

Following my advice you will save yourself $1000 and you'll avoid the frustration of buying an expensive camera only to discover it's not going to give you the results you'll need. Get a MM account, get experience modeling (what you really need) and get your shots for the SG port.

Last edited:
I have decided to get the Canon Powershot G10

Cause I'm a Gangsta
That's a top of the line point and shoot, no doubt. But if you plan on getting 40+ SG quality shots with just that camera shooting yourself, I fear you've set yourself up for major disappointment.

:(

I would use it to have a friend shoot some images to get a MM account and go from there.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back