Best Canon EF or EF-S wide angle and macro lenses under $200

cbourbeau32

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
What's the best wide angle and macro EF or EF-S lens that can be had for under $200? I understand I'm not going to get the best lenses for this price but it's my budget. I'm open to other brands such as Sigma as long as the AF works. I already have a set of (3) extension tubes if that would qualify one macro over the other.

Thanks in advance.

Charlie

Um, that could be a problem. Well, the cheapest wide angle zoom I am aware of for Canon is the EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS. However even that one is certainly not to be had for 200$. Its more like 250 to 300$. And since thats a pretty new lens, you might have a hard time finding it on the used market.

Since you ask for "EF or EF-S" : there is absolutely no point to buy a wide angle lens for EF for an EF-S camera. The crop factor of 1.6 for Canon will make it a midrange zoom.

How well does the EF-S 24mm work as a wide angle lens?

How well does the EF-S 24mm work as a wide angle lens?

It's wider than 25mm and longer (narrower) than 23mm....

A term like 'wide angle' really isn't all that meaningful unless you are making a comparison.

If you don't already have a lens that has a focal length/zoom less than 24mm, then the 24mm lens might make for a great wide angle lens, TO YOU.

But if you already have something like the 18-55mm, then 24mm won't seem all that wide to you.

Personally, I like 'ultra wide', so I don't really consider a lens to be truly 'wide angle' until it gets below 17mm (on a crop), or below 24mm on full frame. So 24mm, on a crop camera, wouldn't really be wide angle to me.

I love the 10-18 IS STM that was mentioned. Cost me a litte over 400$ Canadian I think. Takes really awesome video as well.

Im planning to go out with it this afternoon in fact, cant wait.

True macros as far as I have researched are around 1k. I'm leaning toward the 100mm 1:1, as it should make a nice portrait lens as well with twice the reach if my 50.

Save $50 for the efs 10-18 stm.

That's the route I would go probably.

He said the best ...................
The best is the TSE 17mm f4 L lens ..... the tilt shift lens out performs all wide angle and ultra wide angle lenses hand down . The TSE 17mm is the King of wide angle photography .
It has no distortion on the edges or corners like all wide angle and ultra wide angle lenses have.

Because the lens shifts side to side without having to move the camera it also makes stitching very easy ...

The lens sale's for around 2100.00 and expect to spend 600,00 to 700.00 for a complete set of ND and polarized filter's .

That's is the best................................................
Ps In order to use the tilt shift function on the lens you must be on a tripod .

Last edited:
What's the best wide angle and macro EF or EF-S lens that can be had for under $200? I understand I'm not going to get the best lenses for this price but it's my budget. I'm open to other brands such as Sigma as long as the AF works. I already have a set of (3) extension tubes if that would qualify one macro over the other.

Thanks in advance.

Charlie

best value wide angle .... Canon 10-18

Most reactions

New Topics

Back