Best Canon Portrait Lens?

canonbraden

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm starting to to portraits so I feel the need to upgrade so I can produce the best pictures I can for the client. Which lens should I get next? I've been really interested in the 24-105 f4 is this good for portraits? I know not to use a short length lens due to distortion and such.

Canons 135mm f/2. I almost want to switch to Canon JUST so i can get this lens.

Awesome. Just trying to do some research, how come you recommend these lenses?

I have tried the 85 and loved it. The others are what you will hear recommended on here by most people. There is also the 70-200mm f2.8 that is really good and used by a lot of the well known portrait photographers. (I have one of those on loan from a friend now and really don't want to give it back)

I had the chance to buy the 85mm f/1.8 used about 6 months ago and didn't have regretted it ever since.

I have tried the 85 and loved it. The others are what you will hear recommended on here by most people. There is also the 70-200mm f2.8 that is really good and used by a lot of the well known portrait photographers. (I have one of those on loan from a friend now and really don't want to give it back)

I had the chance to buy the 85mm f/1.8 used about 6 months ago and didn't have regretted it ever since.

Awesome. I've been thinking about the 70-200 f2.8 but it's out of my price range. I like the 24-105 because its versatile and I could use it for landscape too.

Do you have a standard zoom (kit lens) and a telephoto zoom lens? If yes, try it out yourself and see how focal lengths affect the end result as well as impacts while taking focal with that focal length.

Once you know more about that, then you can decide if additional elements you like to add to the photos. (i.e. blur background) Few of my favorite family photos were taking at 200mm. But that is my person preference based on the way the subject/photo look.

Do you have a standard zoom (kit lens) and a telephoto zoom lens? If yes, try it out yourself and see how focal lengths affect the end result as well as impacts while taking focal with that focal length.

Once you know more about that, then you can decide if additional elements you like to add to the photos. (i.e. blur background) Few of my favorite family photos were taking at 200mm. But that is my person preference based on the way the subject/photo look.

Ya I have the 75-300, it's been great.

Typically is it better to use a telephoto lens for portraits or around the 50-100mm range?

I ditched my 18-55mm kit lens for the 28-135 kit lens because I wasn't happy with the 18-55. It was a good move for me and I use that lens most of the time now. I'm saving to get the 70-200 but wouldn't mind the 24-105. I think it is a better lens than the 24-135 that I have but wasn't in a position to get it at the time.

I personally feel like now that the 70-200 is a must have for me, just a timing issue now.

Canons 135mm f/2. I almost want to switch to Canon JUST so i can get this lens.
Your starting to see the light. Come closer Pixmedic. :)

I ditched my 18-55mm kit lens for the 28-135 kit lens because I wasn't happy with the 18-55. It was a good move for me and I use that lens most of the time now. I'm saving to get the 70-200 but wouldn't mind the 24-105. I think it is a better lens than the 24-135 that I have but wasn't in a position to get it at the time.

I personally feel like now that the 70-200 is a must have for me, just a timing issue now.

Yeah. I know how you feel haha I'm in the same boat right now. I just need to make up my mind before I save up the money.

I like the 50mm, 85mm and the 135mm for portraits.

Awesome. I've been thinking about the 70-200 f2.8 but it's out of my price range.
Then consider going with the 70-200 f4L. You could then sell your 75-300 and buy a couple of Younuo 560IIs, and/or some triggers, and/or a big whompin' softbox.

Typically is it better to use a telephoto lens for portraits or around the 50-100mm range?
That is the general consensus, yes.

It's no so much the focal length of the lens that you use, but how far away you are when shooting someone. The closer you are to them, the more perspective distortion you will see. If you want to shoot a head shot with a focal length of 35mm, you end up being pretty close to them, which will then give you plenty of distortion, which typically doesn't look good.

The farther away you are, the less perspective distortion you will get...so it stands to reason that the longer the focal length, the better. But then how far is too far. Depends whether or not you're shooting outdoors or in a large indoor space. If you have limited space, then focal length being too long might be an issue. Also, how far away can you be while still connecting with your clients? If you have to shout at them while shooting portraits, is that good?

I have the 70-200mm F2.8 and that is my main portrait lens.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back