Best CF card for Nikon 8700

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by prez, Aug 19, 2006.

1. prez

prez TPF Noob!

I have a Nikon 8700 which i use for work (i'm a realtor and so panoramic virtual tours with it), but would like to take up photography as a hobby.

I want to upgrade my compact flash card and get one that allows me to hold down the shutter and take multiple pictures in a very short period of time. I don't want to go overboard and buy a top of the range card if the camera can't take advantage of it.

What card should i go for? 100x? 133x? faster? Is there a brand to go for, or any to avoid?

Thanks in advance.

2. prez

prez TPF Noob!

no feedback at all? :(

3. 964

964 TPF Noob!

Hi, as far as I can read - your camera takes around 2 shots per second up to 5 maximum (the size of the buffer). I also read that using a Sandisk Ultra II card (so reasonably quick) it takes your camera around 14.7 seconds to write a RAW file to that memory card. I would say that is *very slow*. I think mine will do it in just over a second or so as a comparison. I would therefore say that I would not bother to spend more on expensive or fast cards - standard Sandisk, Kingston etc around the 50x speed mark will be more than adequate. Alternatively, I always recommend Adata cards which are cheap, fast AND reliable but these are not well-known yet so you can decide whethger you want to go this route. Funny actually, as Adata are one of the biggest memory manufacturers in the world......