Best Digital Camera for Action Photography

kater229

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
What would be the best camera to buy for action photography? Something that responds quickly with a good auto focus. I am some what new to this but would love to learn!!!

You will need a DSLR camera

Whats your budget?

I would say my budget is $2000.00 and under. The sport would be skateboarding and snowboarding. I would want a DSLR. Thanks!!

Nice, a fellow action sport photog =)

I guess you are gonna have to do a lot of deciding based on what you want. Your not going to want to blow it all on camera but instead (as mentioned) save some of that for a nice lens.

Sorry thats out of my range, I am not that great, some better guys will be along to help you out :)

Nice, a fellow action sport photog =)

I guess you are gonna have to do a lot of deciding based on what you want. Your not going to want to blow it all on camera but instead (as mentioned) save some of that for a nice lens.

I am guessing you do action photography as well?? What camera do you prefer? and lens?

Can you stretch your budget to about $2300??

Canon 40D + 24-105 f/4L IS.

* 40D is weather resistant (snowboarding) and solidly built.
* 24-105L is also sealed
* 24-105L is sharp, good focal range and IS. I am guessing f/4 aperture is not going to be too bad of an issue since snowboard/skateboarding in good light
* 40D has 6.5 or 3 fps

Are you talking about 2000$ for a Camera package, or just the body? If you have 2000$ to spend, the D300 Body would fit your bill pretty well. I just picked one up and I love it. Took it to a local Autocross event today and it did a nice job. If you're looking at spending $2000 for a kit, I'd say go for a Canon 40D package. They run around 1500$ and are great cameras as well. Hope that helps a little.

I also like the K10D or K20D pentax. A lot of bang for your buck and weathersealed as well. Perhaps a notch slower than the Canon which might not be a big deal.

Can you stretch your budget to about $2300??

Canon 40D + 24-105 f/4L IS.

* 40D is weather resistant (snowboarding) and solidly built.
* 24-105L is also sealed
* 24-105L is sharp, good focal range and IS. I am guessing f/4 aperture is not going to be too bad of an issue since snowboard/skateboarding in good light
* 40D has 6.5 or 3 fps

I second that, it sounds good to me.

I cant really go over the $2000 range right now I was hoping i could get the whole package for about $2000. Is that too little?

I'd definitely stick with Canon. Top-notch AF speed, even on the dinky consumer level lenses, and the best lineup of telephoto lenses on the planet. Due to selling zillions of them since Canon has owned the sports market for the past 20+ years, they're also surprisingly affordable, at least compared to other brands. I'd go for a new or used 30D or a new 40D. Then get an EF-S 10-22 for skateboarding stuff, and then maybe a 70-200 f/4L (non IS) to cover snowboarding (assuming you'd be further away). I'm not sure how you're planning to shoot, but if you're going to be directly underneath both, get sure to consider the Sigma 10mm f/2.8 fisheye lens.

The things you should be looking for in a body are a fast burst rate (around 5 frames per second or more) and good quality photos at higher ISO speeds to allow for shooting in poorer light levels at a shutter speed that won't blur everything.

Sports photography is some of the most expensive type of photography. Atleast professionally wise. Since objects are moving, often far away making it difficult for a crisp image. You gotta have good glass and the focal length, both together can be a good hefty price.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back