Best Digital Camera for Action Photography

Will 200mm be long enough for snowboarding? I'm assuming you are not shooting while snowboarding.

You can get Canon 30D for ~$700.
You can get 70-200 f/2.8L for ~$1000
or 70-200 f/4L IS for ~$1000

If you budget is over $2000, you can get the 40D which has better everything across the board compared to 30D.

The lens will determine the autofocus and image quality. I believe all DSLRs will allow you to do what you want if you have the right lens.

I cant really go over the $2000 range right now I was hoping i could get the whole package for about $2000. Is that too little?

Understood.... Perhaps you can find the same stuff I recommended in the used department. Save a few here and there can get you pretty far. Although I'm not a snowboarder, I suspect that having a weather resistant body and lens is fairly important in that environment. (correct me if I'm wrong) The 40D is the most affordable Canon with weather seals and generally the non-L's are not weather sealed (even some L lenses are not weather sealed).

Another high bang for buck camera(s) with weather seals are Pentax's K10D, K20D, and K200D. Perhaps you can find a K200D with a nice lens to like. As much as I like Pentax, I don't think their camera's AF performance is up to par with Canon yet.

[edit] I was assuming you would be shooting while being on the slopes...

Can you stretch your budget to about $2300??

Canon 40D + 24-105 f/4L IS.

* 40D is weather resistant (snowboarding) and solidly built.
* 24-105L is also sealed
* 24-105L is sharp, good focal range and IS. I am guessing f/4 aperture is not going to be too bad of an issue since snowboard/skateboarding in good light
* 40D has 6.5 or 3 fps

I wouldn't give anyone the impression of the 40D being weather resistant. The battery compartment is the only thing that's sealed so water can get in through the buttons and switches.

30D used with good glass might be your best bet. I'm not sure of any other brands that have cameras that will do 5fps and currently go for about $650 used. Glass is going to be your biggest need. Some one suggested a $2000 camera. That would be a mistake as it would leave you with no money for lenses. A 70-200 f/2.8 is almost a must for most sports, as well as a TC. There's a lot of different ways you could go with it though. Skatboarding will probably be more about the fish eye and wide angle lenses with good lighting. Maybe look into a uwa and some lights?

Best dSLR for action? Nikon D3 and the 70-200 lens. Be ready to spend about $6500 dollars.

You *did* say best, right? :lmao:

These guys are giving some decent suggestions, but I wonder if they're getting the focal lengths right. Here's what I would go for:

Canon 30D - $700
Sigma 10-12 f/4-5.6 or Tokina 12-24 f/4 - $500
Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 - $800

The UWA will be good for skateboarding where you want to be close to the action, and maybe get some funky angles. The telephoto will be good for snowboarding, where you'll probably be a little further from the action.

Wouldn't it have made mroe sense to ask for the best lenses instead of best camera. Even if you have a 1dMKIII without a great lense there's no point.

Wouldn't it have made mroe sense to ask for the best lenses instead of best camera. Even if you have a 1dMKIII without a great lense there's no point.

I don't know, I could get some really good shots with a 1dmkIII that does 10fps and a 70-200 f/2.8

Most reactions

Back