Best Digital Camera For Newbie Photographer?

SprinterSteve

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Okay I have about 300 Dollars to spend on a digital camera. I'm looking to get one to start snapping some quality pics. Any suggestions from veteran photographers of what may be the best quality camera with that price range? Thanks a lot for all future feedback.
Take care,
-Steve

Hi Steve,
Looks like you are being ignored on this one mate. Do a search for unanswered posts and then go on to Altyfc talking about his Canon G5, don't know how much it is but the results look pretty imressive. Me, I am still into normal photography although I do have a "Token" digital, a Sony Cybershot which was bought when 1.3Mpixels was pretty good.
Cheers,
RJ.

Hi Steve
Ok my theory is to buy the best you can afford, now not sure on US prices.
but for a G5 in the UK you are looking to pay £499. Now i bought a Canon 10D which is great but just last weekend I was in scotland on a weekend break so i decide to treat myself to an early christmas present i had the G5 in mind. So i tracked down a camera store. but they only had two faulty G5 in. Now i was looking for a pocket camera to take out on trips etc. which the G5 was a touch to big so the saleman offered me the Canon S50 35~105
lens 5meg manual tv av progran and auto much solider than a G5 and at £ 349 it seem good to me. as for your self it has plenty of functions such as second sink on the flash. the only thing it has not got is a hot shoe or pc connection. check out dpreview.com for right ups they are pretty good.
cheers
dave
www.dknagg.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

All I can say is NOT a Dimage of any sort. A more convoluted and difficult control mechinism I can not imagine. I am no stranger to camera's and even digitals. After 2 hours with a Dimage I still could not get manual settetings. So I busted it up... (j/k)

ok, tyjax, i have to disagree with you on this one, I have had my minolta dimage z1 for about 4 months now, and I haven't found any flaws with it other than the body is plastic. Manual settings are extremely easy to set as well as aperature and shutter priority. I have printed up to 8x10s from it, and the 3.2 megapixels have worked excellent for it. Maybe you just had one of the other models, but the Z1 is amazing as far as I'm concerned, and at 10x optical zoom to go with it? mmmmmm.... it was $399, but I have seen it for $350. I would HIGHLY recommend it for anyone looking for a manual digital camera.

~Andrew~

Yo,
I just bought the G5 for my VERY beginners self. However, before I did so, I was cautioned by every photography enthusiast to purchase a SLR to start out with. Too bad, every SLR I wanted was WAAAAY out of my price range!
I'll let ya'll know how the G5 goes!
Me, the Flea

i am not recommending one over another, for i have not played with them all! (not recognizing cameras as toys.)

i would say though, get one which you can vary things. for example my canon powershot a70 (NOT ADVERTISING!) allows me to change the ISO, Apeture, and Shutter Speed. it also has an auto for shots at a party when i dont have time for anything but point and shoot.

i think you'd become best acquainted with the ideas of photography if you could take unlimited pictures, changing the values of variables to find out what gives you your shot. the perfect thing u want.

being able to turn off the flash is also handy. i normally use no flash, for photos in the dark, long exposure and black and white.

i am quite happy with being able to change my photo to and from color, to sepia, or black and white. as i please.

the macro is not too shabby either.

to make an ambiguous post sightly less diaphanous, to the clearer side
(to sum it up)

search for a camera where you can learn by experience.
where you can take landscape photos in addition to macro,
where you can adjust the ISO, Aperature, and Shutterspeed, maybe more
where you can change the photo from color to black and white, or sepia

canon powershot A70 is what i have, you could go for the A80 if you wanted, but the a70 is cheaper, and has the same photographical attributes, but less megapixels and a different viewing screen.

There are many cameras out there and your first digi cam can either prolong your interest in photography or test your patience. I recommend doing a lot of reading on the subject. There's a couple web pages out there that independently rate and compare any and all digital cameras. They also do a good job on educating the user on what each function means. Here's some good pages I've came accross:
http://www.dpreview.com/
http://www.dcresource.com/
http://www.megapixel.net

I hope these help you out.

Most reactions

Back