Best Digital SLR under 2grand for portraits

There are several mentions of "get the D200" with very little substance as to why he should... now is that helpful???? Sheesh..
I would tell someone who is contemplating a 30Dto get the D200 because it is closer to it than the D80 and pricewise it is only $500 more.

Canon 30D body only $1043.00 @ B+H http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/423708-REG/Canon_1234B004_EOS_30D_Digital_Camera.html
Nikon D200 Body only $1449.00 body only @ B+H http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/407284-REG/Nikon_25235_D200_Digital_Camera_Camera.html
Me being a Nikon person I would recommend the Nikon and personally I don't think comparing the 30D to the D80 is a fair comparison although Canon does usually have a better variety of camras between the rebel level and the 1Ds level than Nikon has between the D40 and the D2x.

I think the point is, what would someone who's just getting into dSLR usage need a D200 for? What is he going to be shooting, and does he NEED all the pro-features of the D200 for 500 dollars more? My guess is no.

Now.. thats a tad better....

Just playing devils advocate as I think more info is necessary.

Honestly.. the D80 has always been slotted to compete against the Canon 30D and their price point ($100 difference) is a whole lot closer than the $500 you stated. So what exactly does the $500 for the D200 buy a BIGINNER photographer over the D80 and does it really matter for someone just getting started (read. I'm comparing D80 to 200D NOT Canon)? Please convince me that the $500 is best spent on a better camera rather than other things (lenses! lighting! tripod!).

To the OP:

As stated before.. Nikon/Canon versus Canon/Nikon... doesn't matter. I recommend going to the store and holding examining both systems. They are both very good systems. What ever you choose, do not allow those posting here convince you that you need to go well above your $2k budget in order to become a great photographer. Your $2k budget is MORE than enough and MORE than most people I helped get started. Offerings in your budget from either Nikon (D80) or Canon (30D) will give you a camera that is more than you will need (Neither is entry-level). Take each step one at a time.. evaluate yourself and your equipment as you progress.

My recommendation still stands. 30D w/ 28-135mm IS USM + 50mm f1.8 + 85mm f1.8. Proven body, good Image Stabilized zoom, two high bang for the buck fast prime lenses at focal lengths for portraits. Save now and spend later.

I also like the Pentax K10D (great body cheaper than Nikon and Canon)... although I don't know enough about their current offerings to make a recommendation on lenses. K10D with a bag full of Manual focus Takumars would be nice, but I'm assuming you want autofocus. There's a pro-fashion photographer who posts in this forum that now shoots exclusively with the K10D... perhaps he will chime in his recommendation.

Well there's the newer Limited pancake primes (or the older 35mm ones but more pricey), plus the new fast zooms. No doubt someone will point out that you're buying a system not a camera and yes there's a good dedicated flash system too. No the range of products is not enormous, but it would be an ideal system for portrait work... but why even bother recommending it since we're all obsessed with the matter-of-life-and-death choice between Canon and Nikon. :meh:

As for the body... it's portrait work, right? I assume you're not going to be taking these portraits in the middle of a jungle or climbing a mountain. Also a studio environment is surely likely to be one where the lighting is mostly under your control? And presumably the subjects are not likely to be leaping around the studio so the most advanced autofocus is not a major priority? With all that considered, I too have trouble seeing where the "only" $500 extra is going to make a great difference to the capabilities of a portrait photographer, or why a D80 or 30D wouldn't be more than good enough. It's not about telling beginners they can't start off with the best they can buy, it's about whether we should be suggeting that they need the best they can buy.

Definitely I would go with a Fuji S5 for portraits, that sensor is LOVELY (I have seen one at work), plus you get the full range of Nikon glass to go with it.

Most reactions

Back