Best DSLR for noob?

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Eddie_uv777, Jan 7, 2007.

1. Eddie_uv777

Eddie_uv777 TPF Noob!

I've been looking into getting a DSLR for myself, and I've ran across the Nikon D50, and the Cannon Rebel XT, and I don't know which one is better, seeing as how I'm a noob, all I know is the XT I can find "bundles" from company's on ebay that come with lenses and etc. and they're cheaper than the Nikon D50, but I've always like nikon camera's so I'm just needing advice from someone who know's more

2. hovis

hovis TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Any chance you could try out the two? See which one feels best to you? Truth is, there isn't really a "best" entry DSLR ... the best one is the one you like the best

3. jon3k

jon3k TPF Noob!

Forget the "bundles". When I started out that's what I bought and I sold, gave, or threw away everything but the body, memory card and kit lens.

To get started you need:
    1. $600 - Camera (Rebel XT with 18-55mm Kit Lens, not a great lens, but having a zoom when you're starting out will be helpful)
    2. $30 - Compact Flash card and reader (at least 1GB)
    3. $70 - Canon 50mm f/1.8

I'd also recommend a tripod, especially if you want to shoot landscapes, and even more so if you want to shoot at night. Should be able to pull this all off for about $700 (without tripod) and you'll be set to take some great shots.

4. Sw1tchFX

Sw1tchFX TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    So than get the D50. Go to a CAMERA STORE (not best buy) and feel them out and buy which ever one feels more comfortable and which one's controls make more sense to you. It's that simple.

5. gryphonslair99

gryphonslair99 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    I will advise you as I have others with this question. If you are asking us, then you are not ready to buy a DSLR. First thing you need to do is evaluate your skill & knowledge level. Then look at the cameras that you feel fit your need and you can grow into. Compare the features of the ones you are interested in to narrow down your choices. This is a good site to do so.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sidebyside.asp

After you have narrowed down your choice go to a real photography store, not a big box place. Handle each of the cameras you are interested in. Look at the lenses, accessories etc that you are interested in. See which one feels the best in your hands with the controls easily useable. Most good camera stores will let you take a few pictures or even take it out for a little bit to try out. Then you are ready to make a decision. When you buy a DSLR you are not buying a camera. You are buying a system. Bodies come and go but good lenses when taken care of will last forever. Good Luck

6. ben492

ben492 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    You should try out the D40 as well. Great little camera, although won't autofocus with anything but AF-S and AF-I lenses.

7. ironsidephoto

ironsidephoto TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    i agree with gryphonslair99. good advice.

8. bryanwhite

bryanwhite TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Great advice from gryphonslair.

I shoot with both cameras, and like each for different reasons. I, more often, use my D50, but my dad swears by his XT. So, late next month, we're going to go have a shootout when we go to Orlando. We're going to go like crazy against each other, with everything being as close to equal as possible (i.e. same white balance, all RAW, etc.)

When I, with my Nikon, emerge the survivor, I'll post the results.

9. Jeremy Z

Jeremy Z No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Well, as I see it, you have four reasonable options:

1) Canon EOS Rebel XT
    2) Nikon D50 (while they are still available)
    3) Pentax K100D (my choice)
    4) Olympus E-500

They each have their strengths & weaknesses.

Canon Strengths: Highest resolution, accurate color, excellent processor, excellent accessory support.
    Canon Weaknesses: Tiny body is too small for mens' hands without feeling cramped. Plasticky, cheap-feeling kit lens, no spot metering, no image stabilization, unless you buy the expensive lenses.

Nikon Strengths: Most comfortable body to hold, excellent accessories support, probably the toughest chassis, good color accuracy.
    Nikon Weaknesses: No image stabilization

Pentax Strengths: Comfortable body to hold (not quite as comfy as the Nikon), image stabilization built into the body, the best kit lens. (steel lensmount!)
    Pentax Weaknesses: Not as many third parties make optics and accessories for Pentax as for Nikon & Canon. However, Pentax lenses are VERY good, and are quite reasonable compared to Nikon & Canon's equivalent equipment.

Olympus Strengths: Lightest body in the class, and the only one in the class with ultrasonic dust removal on the sensor. Excellent Zuiko optics. Very comfortable to hold. Adapter available to fit older, manual focus Zuiko optics, which are among the world's best and very inexpensive on the used market. Great price for a high quality setup, probably the best in this class.
    Olympus Weaknesses: 2X multiplication factor due to small sensor means you won't be getting any good deals on wide angle lenses. Smaller sensor is working pretty hard to keep up with the bigger ones on the competition.

Read up on these 4 cameras at dpreview.com and steves-digicams.com. Make some time to drive to a big, well-stocked camera store to check these out. Fill in your location in your profile. There may be someone local to you who would be willing to show you a few things. I know I would if you are in the Chicago area.

I chose the Pentax because of the image stabilization built into the body, (the only one in this class to have it) the excellent quality of the kit lens, accurate color rendition, very low noise, even at high ISO settings, and previous good experience with Pentax durability and optical quality. (K1000)

There are good reasons for each of them, and to be honest, you would probably be happy with any of them. If you were comparing them by looking at prints, they'd have to be VERY big prints for you to tell the difference.

10. Jeremy Z

Photos OK to edit
    Oh, also look these cameras up at popphoto.com and do some reading. If you're like me, you will spend hours upon hours doing this, but you will have a clear idea of what is most important to you afterwards.

In my past photography, I found that I like available light shooting the best, so I put a priority on image stabilization and gave up a little bit of body comfort. But just a little. ;)

11. Choleric

Choleric TPF Noob!

I recently purchased a Pentax K100D, and have no bad things to say about it, for a beginner in the DSLR market it is a great buy!

My only gripe is like you said, is the lack of third party acessories, but I already had a collection of three Pentax lenses so it was no biggy for me.

12. Jeremy Z

Photos OK to edit
    Yes, but we're not pros in need of an 800 mm f/4 either, so it's no biggie. ;)