Best DSLR for Studio / Portrait Work

rp1600

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm currently using a Canon Digital Reb xt and just staring out shooting studio and portrait work (both avail. light and flash). While I'm not upgrading any time real soon, I'd like all of your opinions on the most ideal camera for Portrait and Studio work.

Digital Matt said:
A Mamiya 645AFD with a Phaseone P45 digital back would be my ideal, or a Hasselblad H3D.

:lol: That's what I was going to say...

rp1600, when thinking of upgrading your camera...you have to ask yourself what a new/better camera will do for you...that your current one does not. I don't see that upgrading on step to a 30D will do all that much for you. If you go another step up to the 5D...you get full frame and a wider FOV...same thing with a 1 series body (which are built like tanks...but is that important in a studio?)

You might be better served to purchase or upgrade things like lenses or lights...or other studio accessories.

was more a hypothetical question.

i'm a believer that it's what's behind the camera and no so much the camera itself and feel the rebel xt will serve the purpose until i get the hang of digital instead of film.

good points mike and they made me release that a newer or better camera at this stage may not add a whole lot until i'm more familiar with the digital world.

As far as practical, the Fuji S3 would make a nice studio camera. The images it produces are absolutely fantastic but it's just so slow in everything compared to Nikons that I can't really see using it for much besides landscapes and portraits. Definitely not anything involving action.

Of course, since the Fuji bodies are Nikon-mount, not Canon-mount, it's not necessarily practical for you.....

Most reactions

Back