Best film to use in Fed 3?

kovacs22

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Is there a specific brand of film that's optimal for use in an old Fed 3 camera? I know that it's subjective in terms of what you want the pictures to look like, but assuming an even balance among contrast, graininess, etc., is it better to use vintage film or are more modern film rolls by FujiFilm, Kodak, etc. better? Is there a specific brand and model film that you all recommend?

Thanks in advance!

If you using the camera to take photographs, use modern film as the results will be 'better'. If you are making a thing of using a vintage camera, use Fomapan or Adox film to get the Fifties look.

www.johns-old-cameras.blogspot.co.uk

What lens? The coatings on lenses have changed over the years and that, plus the type of lens, could affect how the film looks, regardless of if the emulsion is a traditional or modern one.

The Fed 3 was made in the 1960s and, while not quite up to date, will give very good results with modern films - not easily distinguishable from 1990s cameras. If the user is using a much older lens, that might make more of a difference.

www.johns-old-cameras.blogspot.co.uk

I tend to use a film speed that would have been used for a particular camera, which usually would be 100 rather than faster speed like 400. But you can use any film you like. I like Kodak TMax or any of the Ilford B&W films, or good ol' basic Kodak Gold or UltraMax is good and Portra is nice for color.

Film old enough to have been made back then for that camera would likely be fogged. Some people like to experiment with old expired film, do long exposures, and get color shifts, etc. Starting out I'd use fresh film and see what results you get and maybe eventually do some experimenting.

Ilford HP5+, FP4+ are both versatile top quality films. Fomapan 200 can be good. Rollei RPX.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back