Best Filter for Ocean and Sand?

sbr

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi,

I’m taking a trip to the Florida Keys in a few weeks and will be taking some pics with my D7100. I’m from the Seattle area so not used to shooting in super bright sun and ocean so I wanted some advice on filters that would he useful for shooting ocean pics during the day? Maybe some evening sunset over the ocean shots? Best filter to reduce glare off the ocean or sand?

Thanks in advace!

Polarizers, Neutral Densities...pick your poisons.

Polarizers will kill the glare. ND's will allow you to have long exposures...which do you seek?

A polarizing filter will cut down on sun glare off water. A neutral density filter is designed to lower shutter speed and won't reduce water glare.

A polariser is the one to reduce reflections (as long as it's alined correctly). Nothing else will make much difference to glare, but graduated ND filters might be useful to reduce the difference between sky & sea....

I am with the chemist. CP, and grads for the sunset shooting especially. Depending on how late you are into the sunset having the hard edge ND is great when the sun will be in the lower end of the image.

While a CPL filter will cut glare off the water if the angles are right and the filter is adjusted properly, if the sun is not 90° to the lens axis and/or is more than about 30° above the horizon a CPL will give an uneven color saturation effect on the sky.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back