Best fixed f2.8 off brand lens for Nikon??

Which lens should I get?

• Total voters

eevoh

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I own a nikon d200 and im looking for a fixed f2.8 off brand lens that is under $600 with a zoom range of at least 18mm to anywhere above 35mm.

A few that I have found so far are the Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 EX DC Lens and the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di II Lens. Are there any other lenses that offer a greater zoom range & cost <$600? If not, then which of the two would you guys recommend?

I have read some reviews about the Tamron lens being slow at focusing under low light conditions but other than that, the tamron wins over the Sigma in every other aspect. What do you guys think? Anyone here who actually owns one of these lenses?

+1 for the Sigma. You need to get the EX DC Macro HSM though. There are 3 older versions that are crap.

... but other than that, the tamron wins over the Sigma in every other aspect.

Are you sure that you were researching the newest one, as itznfb mentioned? When I was looking at both, my research led me to choose the Sigma.

yeah in my research i was comparing the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di II Lens to the Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 EX DC Lens not the macro hsm version.

Are there any other brands or lenses that you guys would recommend?

I believe the HSM version of the Sigma is better optically than the non-HSM version for Nikon mount.

I have the Tamron for Canon and love the lens. It lives on my 7D >75% of the time. It is sharp and solidly built. Tamron also has a 6 year warranty. Mine is the older non-VC version and I've seen them for sale used for $300-350. I'm not convinced that you need VC (Tamron's version of image stabilization) on this focal length range. The lens is about $450 new without VC and $625 with VC on Amazon.

The only down-side to the lens is the lack of an ultrasonic motor, but it hasn't been an issue for me. I've never used the Sigma.

I don't have any third party lenses, but I thought this was an interesting comment by Thom Hogan in his review of the Tammy.
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Wither the Sigma 18-50mm? I haven't used it enough to review it, but I have used it enough to know that it doesn't beat the Tamron.[/FONT]

Full review.

Tokina 16-50 f2.8. Gives you a bit wider view.

I don't have any third party lenses, but I thought this was an interesting comment by Thom Hogan in his review of the Tammy.
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Wither the Sigma 18-50mm? I haven't used it enough to review it, but I have used it enough to know that it doesn't beat the Tamron.[/FONT]

Full review.

In this review he's talking about the 1st version of the Sigma. There have been 3 since. With the 4th gen being the one of concern here. The first 2 version had very poor optics and very inconsistent production. The 3rd version had decent optics but very inconsistent production as well as loud AF. The 4th version they got it right and are producing a high rate of good copies. I really haven't heard anyone talk about a bad copy of the current version.

But the interesting thing is for some reason, Sigma did not release the HSM version with Canon mount. Don't know why.
I am using the Tamron F/2.8 with my Canon camera. And I like it.

Yea I always thought it was a horrible decision to not release a Canon mount for the HSM Macro. They didn't even release it for their own mount. Strange.

Most reactions

Back