Best "How-To" book for outdoor portraits?

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by xyllian, Jun 28, 2004.

1. xyllian

xyllian TPF Noob!

Hello,

I'm a decent amatuer photog and have mainly been doing scenics for the last five years or so. I've got a tripod and a decent Minolta Maxxum XTsi 35mm SLR but don't want to spend a lot more money on gear. I've got two lenses for it: a Quantaray 30-70 and a Quantaray 70-300 zoom.

I'm interested in doing outdoor portrait work (just for fun and friends not really trying to sell commercially). I have been looking on Amazon.com for good books on Portrait Photography but all the reviews seem conflicting and there are no clear stand-out books.

I'd be grateful for any advice on getting started with outdoor portrait work including books, lenses, lighting equipment, and film. I would like to do some b&w as well as color. The Minolta takes pretty darn good pics for being 5 years old so I'm not really looking to buy a new camera.

Thanks!

2. drlynn

drlynn TPF Noob!

I have [ame=http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/158428045X/qid=1088475692/sr=8-6/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i6_xgl14/102-9054323-3010515?v=glance&s=books&n=507846] Professional Secrets of Natural Light Portrait Photography[/ame] by Douglas Allen Box, and I have really enjoyed it.

He uses both photographic examples and diagrams to teach, and covers all natural light portrait settings, outdoor and using window light, etc.