Best (inexpensive) type of backgrounds for Studio/Portrait type photos

astroNikon

'ya all Bananas I tell 'ya
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm venturing into doing portrait type shots for a few people (no charge stuff because I don't really know what I'm doing but I'm reading, experimenting and learning alot).

But I know the background is important even if defocused. I've seen kits with a bright green sheet. Though I haven't bought a kit or anything yet I think the green background would be a distraction and maybe cause lighting issues.

What and where to get, nice but generic backgrounds for these type of shots for an "in home studio" type setup?
I should also mention that getting a large sheet at a fabric store wouldn't be out of the question, I just don't know what color(s) / texture(s).

Thanks

Seamless paper is actually EASIER to work with and easier to keep wrinkle-free. FABRIC does or can work, but tends to wrinkle. If you want fabric of decent size at affordable prices, you might look into some of the microfiber blankets that Target stores sell. They have a dark gray and a white one that are pretty nice, reasonably light in weight. these are available in King size for a reasonable price, and are washable.

Threshold? Microplush Blanket : Target

I think a dark gray paper roll is the single most-versatile color.

I like seamless paper; I do 99% of my work against either seamless paper or a blank wall. The beauty is, you can turn either one almost any colour you want!

Seamless paper is great. I also like textured vinyl.. re-usable, and come with a texture, non reflective side, and a glossy side. Fun to do different things with.

A plain white vinyl is great... light it properly and it is black, white or any shade of grey. Used colored flash filters... and it can be any color in the world. (of course, you can do all that with a black or gray vinyl too) ;)

I like seamless paper; I do 99% of my work against either seamless paper or a blank wall. The beauty is, you can turn either one almost any colour you want!

How do you change it's colour (or color for us Americans) ?

Gelled flash!

Jess1.jpg

Jessica%20(2).jpg

Jessica%20(3).jpg

Jessica%20(4).jpg

All of those were shot against the same roll of Savage Thunder Grey with a single speedlight (SB600) on 1/4 power IIRC, using coloured flash gels to colour the background, except for the white which was shot without a gel at full power.

I've seen kits with a bright green sheet. Though I haven't bought a kit or anything yet I think the green background would be a distraction and maybe cause lighting issues.

The green background is used in certain substitution photographs where the green is later turned into something else. If you use the green background, you can then substitute some other scene in the photo later in Photoshop. Something like a mountain background for instance and you don't even have to visit a mountain to do it.

That is so COOL !!
Now i have to experiment with those gels on the flash on my white board before i try it bigger

piece of dry wall. Or multiple pieces. I read an article that darrel posted where a guy was using dry wall to make a little cube (he'd shoot through an opening in one corner) and then bouncing a single flash all around in it. Really ingenious idea and the results were really nice. Good way to go on a budget since dry wall is uber cheap and easily replaceable.

piece of dry wall. Or multiple pieces. I read an article that darrel posted where a guy was using dry wall to make a little cube (he'd shoot through an opening in one corner) and then bouncing a single flash all around in it. Really ingenious idea and the results were really nice. Good way to go on a budget since dry wall is uber cheap and easily replaceable.
I like the idea, but I'd suggest Coroplast (the stuff they make signs out of); a little more money, but MUCH more durable, and it's not going to get dust and crumbs everywhere!

I use a very wide assortment of fabrics for backdrops, most of which I bought at a Jo Ann's. It's all fairly cheap, especially if you can get it on sale. Trick to this though, don't get anything less than 6 yards.

I did a quick test this morning. I use white poster board which comes glossy on one side and matte on the other (kid's project poster board). I definitely see how "simple" this concept is, in my very small test area.

Midwest Photo Exchange has alot of backdrop - paper and vinyl. I'm also going to check out Jo-Ann Fabrics / Michaels. But so far a great concept. I also definitely see power and distance having a great effect. The middle one the power was too much and the entire middle was washed out, I also added a home made snoop to the subject flash which helped alot too. Though on the last one I need more power on the subject to prevent the yellow to overwhelm it.

I'm going to stay away from drywall as I used to do alot of home wall construction .. with kids around I can see them taking the hammer to it from time to time.

$Monkey1a.jpg$Monkey2a.jpg$Monkey3a.jpg

I like the idea, but I'd suggest Coroplast (the stuff they make signs out of); a little more money, but MUCH more durable, and it's not going to get dust and crumbs everywhere!

Yep.. and a lot more portable too! Drywall is messy!

Yep.. and a lot more portable too! Drywall is messy!
And friggin' pricey to get rid of when the time comes!

You can also buy a piece of corrugated sheet metal for $12 which can be lit and shot numerous ways! Just wear gloves as it can be sharp before treated

Most reactions

Back