Best Laptop for photo editing

You need to consider more than just display resolution.

You also need to consider the display type. For image editing the IPS display type is preferred.
Another consideration is the type of back lighting the display uses.

Since laptop scan easily be moved around, the ambient light falling on the display changes frequently, making display calibration a hassle because a display needs to be re-calibrated if the ambient light falling on it has changed.
For that reason, many who use a laptop to do image editing have a - stay in one place so the ambient light is constant - desktop display they plug into their laptop to then do critical image editing.
When considering desk top displays many want a wide color gamut display. many of the inexpensive IPS displays cannot display the full color gamut of the sRGB color space, and opt for a display that can not only display 100% of sRGB but that can also display up to 98% of the Adobe RGB color space.

Thanks for your detailed explanation.

The MacBook Pro with IPS Retina Display is the most popular laptop among professional photographers. The best reason to consider a Mac laptop is that you’ll get one of the best displays available in a well-built chassis.

The quad-core Intel Core i7 featured in the 15-inch model provides plenty of horsepower for your photo editing. If portability is a priority, then the 13-inch Retina MacBook Pro is also excellent.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Computers for photo editing are like tripods: it doesn't pay to skimp on price AND you can't get something that is perfect at everything...you always end up compromising in some areas to get one that does what is really important to you. As a result, there is no "Best" tripod or "Best" laptop. Instead, it's the equipment that fits your needs and priorities (and skimps on the stuff that matters less to you).

I use a MacAir. It has a bunch of negatives....first, it's a laptop and a desktop (or a machine with an external monitor) is going to be better b/c of a better and bigger screen and usually a bigger hard drive. Second it has a limited battery life (compared to other options). But for me, the critical parts are that it's small and light so it can fit in a messenger bag easily with all my gear and not feel like schlepping an Alice pack. B/c if it wasn't small and light, I wouldn't bring it and then I'd never use it for editing.

I would also opt for more memory and storage. I've run into issues with my Macbook Pro trying to stack images. I'm talking 50-100 Star trail images. CS6 automatically reserves 70% of your memory by default and my image files are huge (D800/70-100MB). I can only stack about 30-40 images before I start running into memory full issues. My Mackbook Pro has 8GB Ram and 125 GB HD/Flash. So I bought an iMac with 16 GB and 1T HD/Flash to see if that helps....I'm also going to use a different software for editing star trail photos that doesn't consume as much memory. I'm still waiting on my internet connection/install at the office before I can update my CS6 software to include a RAW editing plug-n for my D800.

Hey,
There is a lot of laptops for photo edit even you can edit from core 2 duo of dual core. it's depend on you which software do you want to run. if you want to edit through Photoshop or same like big software you need minimum i3 with 6gb ram and at least 250gb SDD. if you want edit through any app you can use any laptop. here is the best LAPTOPS.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I use windows 7, home i3 4 core and 8gig so ram PSE9 Lr 5 ish and it’s not really enough for my needs.
But I do do big files
The last image file size was over 2gig with 20 layers

I recommend MacBook Pro that has 90 percent faster performance when compared to others. It features a new quad-core Intel processor that helps with the function. It has contextual control over the touch bar. MacBook Pro boasts the processors of 8th generation with Intel core i5 to i7, The touch controls are dynamic. The displays of 13 inches are very amazing as it gives the perfect ratio of color and visible True tone Technology which helps to add the perfect visual experience for the viewer. The storage is up to 128 GB.

OP asked this question in 2014. Safe to assume he/she already purchased something.

Reactions: PJM

Most reactions

New Topics

Back