Best lens for 12+ family portrait?

sactown024

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I know I have been posting on here a lot, boarderline annoying... but i get a lot of good info here.

I am doing a family shoot (fml) 2 weeks from now outside at a park. there is 4 kids 8 adults i think and I want to rent a lens that is going to give me good bokeh with that many people in the shot. is this possible? maybe something like this...

http://pinkfogphotography.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/family-photography2.jpg

wait, i just noticed this was a painting of some sort, wtf? anyways I think you know what I am after

That link....not so sure about that. You shoot nikon or canon?

I know the Canon 24 1.4 has got good reviews. That would only really be wide angle on full frame though.

I think this thread will do better in the Canon or Nikon sections. Regardless of the brand, primes will probably be the best option to go. If you find yourself zooming in a lot then get a sharp zoom if you don't always want to change lenses. If your a Canon user you can't go wrong with a 50mm, I think they are the most used and loved prime lenses. If you have a crop body then take the change of focal length into consideration.....not sure if you already know all of it but I assume you may so I'm saying this anyways :p

I have a 50mm 1.8, but I dont think I will get the bokeh standing that far back to get everyone in the frame would I?

Going to be hard to get bokeh with wide angle lens. The shorter the focal length the deeper the depth of field is. That's why I recommended the 24 1.4 you need that fast aperture to get separation. But then you have to worry about getting everyone in focus if they are different distances from the camera.

Get the 400mm with a 2x extender and stand back about 1/2 a mile.

Crop frame, shooting 12+, your best bet is probably the Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8. You'll probably want to shoot at 16mm and somewhere between f/2.8 and f/4. Have your background as far behind the family as possible.

The amount of background blur is decided by the following:

1) f/stop.
2) focal length (the greater the focal length, the greater the background blur)
3) distance from subject to background
4) distance from camera to subject

If it's possible to pose them in a 3-4-5 configuration, you might be able to use a 24mm or 35mm prime and still get everybody in the frame.

Something like 3 small kids in front, 4 teenagers/young adults knelt in a second row, and 5 adults standing in between the shoulders of the second row. However, it's likely that this configuration wouldn't work very well.

Your biggest concern with a family portrait though isn't going to be a blurred background, it's going to be lighting everybody properly and having everybody posed. Background blur is like the 129387th most important thing in a shot like this.

Your worries should be something like:

1) getting them lined up in a natural pose that's not absurdly wide. Left to their own devices, most families in a shot like this end up trying to do something like 8 grownups standing shoulder to shoulder and maybe 3-4 small children in front. Try to get them in at least a couple of rows, if you can, three rows will really help with 12+. Also tell them to get close, until they think it's too close, and then get just a bit closer to one another.

2) getting everybody's face clearly lit and clearly in the picture

3) having everybody in a comfortable pose

4) everybody's eyes open and looking at the camera

5) everybody in focus

6) No distracting background elements

7) pretty background

8) background out of focus

But really, 1,2 and 3 are 99.99% of getting the shot.

You'll probably need a step ladder, because 12 people is usually a shot that will need to be shot a bit downwards to avoid covering people's faces up. Look for stairwells, as they always help out a bit in raising the back rows and can generally be pleasing in their own regards. If you're going to use lights, you'll either need a really big softbox or two lights, or otherwise risk having drastically uneven lighting and/or shadows on faces. If complexions vary, put the darker complexions more towards the center, and the lighter complexions more towards the edge. Otherwise arrange based on height and/or 'familial rank'

You need a long lens. Probably 85 or longer. Since it is outdoor, space is a non issue. This one is 135mm at f/2.8 and full frame. Pretty blurred background I think.

p1174159212-4.jpg

The image you posted was definitely shot at a long focal length. You're in a park, what exactly is your space constraint? Rent a 70-200mm F/2.8 II and shoot at f/3.2-3.5 to give you adequate DoF. Or rent a 135/2L and do the same thing. Shooting a family with a wide angle lens will lead do a feeling of disconnect IMO. Longer focal lengths are much more flattering and give an appearance of unity. Wide lenses are great if you are capturing an activity with a group of people... But you're shooting a portrait, so I'd suggest you use a portraiture focal length.

The image you posted was definitely shot at a long focal length. You're in a park, what exactly is your space constraint? Rent a 70-200mm F/2.8 II and shoot at f/3.2-3.5 to give you adequate DoF. Or rent a 135/2L and do the same thing. Shooting a family with a wide angle lens will lead do a feeling of disconnect IMO. Longer focal lengths are much more flattering and give an appearance of unity. Wide lenses are great if you are capturing an activity with a group of people... But you're shooting a portrait, so I'd suggest you use a portraiture focal length.

Yeah, good point. Though the issue I always have with telephotos and big groups is that if you're that far away, they tend to lose their pose very easy and it's harder to direct.

Also somewhat depends on exactly how many 12+ is, and what individuals make up the 12+. 13 grown adults and 2-3 kids is wildly different from 5 adults and 7 kids.

fjrabon said:
Yeah, good point. Though the issue I always have with telephotos and big groups is that if you're that far away, they tend to lose their pose very easy and it's harder to direct.

Also somewhat depends on exactly how many 12+ is, and what individuals make up the 12+. 13 grown adults and 2-3 kids is wildly different from 5 adults and 7 kids.

I generally find that if you shout loud enough (if you happen to be far away) and have a commanding voice, even small children will listen. That's just been my method.

This thread is full of win! Several recommendations to shoot portraiture with an UWA lens, really??? :lol:

For the OP, aperture size is going to play less of a role in your DOF than the the distance from you to your subject and the subject to background distance. If you are actually talking about bokeh, the quality of the out of focus area, then look for a high number of rounded aperture blades.

mjhoward said:
This thread is full of win! Several recommendations to shoot portraiture with an UWA lens, really??? :lol:

And then Robin and I roll in with almost identical advice... Just like clockwork.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back