Best lens for me?

penfold1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.fizzlebang.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am selling my canon 18-55mm kit lens and want to replace it with one good lens that I can just use all the time.

I do a little bit of everything, but mostly shoot automobiles/sports/racing/people.

I was recommended this sigma lens as a cheap option:

Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EX DC HSM

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...t_shr?_encoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance

at $400 it is at about my budget limit.

Anyone have any other options?

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
ok, when I say sports and racing, they are all things I can get fairly close to when shooting.

mountain bikimg, autocross...ect.

Like, within A FEW feet? Because the 30mm is slightly WIDER than what your human eye sees. I don't know if you wanna get within a few feet of an autocross event.

This

was taken with a 30mm.

Either way, I recommend a 55-200mm lens. I think it will work well for you. Any brand will do.

I wouldn't bother selling the 18-55mm lens unless you get something that covers that range. That lens won't get you much on the used market anyway.

The Sigma 30mm can be a great lens (if the focus is accurate) but it could be a bit limiting to you. That being said, plenty of people shot with nothing more than a 50mm lens on a 35mm film SLR...which is practically the same.

The 18-55mm kit lens, combined with a fast prime lens, can make a great two lens kit. The Sigma 30mm might be an option or even the 50mm F1.8 (which is much cheaper).

Other options would be the Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 or the Tamron 17-50mm F2.8.

One of my favorite 'all around' lenses is the Canon 17-85mm IS lens. The aperture isn't very large but IS can help in some situations...and the range from 17mm to 85mm is fantastic.

thanks, you guys are right, I am definitely selling the kit lens. I just dont like it.

I will look into the 17-85mm IS.

oh yeah, I already have the 50mm 1.8.

How does that 50mm treat you??

I need something that will shoot abit better in dimmer situations, i.e. night at the cafe or what have you.

Well, I got it for $50 used and it is 10x better than the kit lens. It is well built for the price and takes great pictures.

Here are some pictures I've taken with it so far.

kendanotext.jpg

IMG_1582.jpg

IMG_2067.jpg

IMG_0772.jpg

IMG_1858.jpg

Most reactions

Back