Best lens for Nikon D50?

davincisoprano1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Those who have one, what lenses would you suggest?

I want to be able to photograph concerts but also just events in general (my sorority has made me official photog since i always have my cam with me).

btw i have asked this before but my thread got deleted during the forum problem downtime

Do you have a lens already? if not you need to consider what is usually called the "kit" lens This http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/324190-USA/Nikon_2149_18_70mm_f_3_5_4_5_G_AFS_ED_IF.html is what came with my D70s and is a great lens. if you want concert shots it depends on how close you can get. If you are fairly close a nice option might be a 50mm 1.8 http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/247091-USA/Nikon_2137_Normal_AF_Nikkor_50mm.html it's a great lens for the price sharp and fast. Beyond this you need to consider budget just look at B+H or elsewhere and see what fits you.

For future reference the lower the f number the better for shots in low light so a lens that says that it is f5.6 wouldn't be as good in dim light as a lens that says it's f4. That is a 1 stop difference and the reason that's important is that it means that you can correctly expose the faster (lower number) lens at a 1 stop faster shutter speed- 1/30th of a second as opposed to 1/15th.

1/30 is about as low as you want to go to keep you shots from being too blurry from both camera shake and people moving around and even then it isn't always fast enough. Although useing a tripod at 1/15 and with a 3 shot burst will generally get you a clear photo.

You can find 80-200mm f4 lenses around for a decent price that when used on a tripod will give acceptable results (even better to tell everyone you will be photographing a set place to stop and pose for you so you won't have the motion blur).

If you can use a manual focus lens (this is a little tougher in a dark hall with a lower aperture number due to the DoF issues) there are AI or AIS manual lenses at 135mm f2.8 that are a steal! (135mm is the equivalent of 202mm in a film camera). The ability to more easily use the older manual lenses is one of the reasons that you see so many people hanging on to their D70s' and others (me once ;)) drooling over the D200!

We won't even go into the insane quality of some of the older prime lenses here but you can easily research it if you are at all interested.

good luck with it

mike

Most reactions

New Topics

Back