Best Lens for portrait/fashion photography

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Joshua_Lee, Aug 30, 2010.

1. Joshua_Lee

Joshua_Lee TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Wanting some advice on a good Nikkor (or Nikon compatible) lens for portraits and fashion photography. Not runway fashion, but outdoor/indoor clothing model fashion. New to this and there are so many lenses out there that I figured this is the best place to ask. I have the 50, but it is not good for tight spaces even outdoors.

Cheers

2. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    70-200mm f/2.8 VR Nikkor is extremely versatile. If restricted to only **one lens**, that is the lens I would choose. As you have seen a 50mm lens on a crop-frame body is "tight", even when used outdoors. So, if you need some wide-angle lengths, then you need something wider than 50mm for tight spaces...leading to the need for another lens,right? Wellllllllllllll.......

3. MohaimenK

MohaimenK TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I 2nd Darrel! Although I have the Canon version of that lens

4. sovietdoc

sovietdoc TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    A friend of mine is doing the type of work you're looking to do, his 70-200 almost never leaves the body.

5. inTempus

inTempus TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    The 70-200 is a great lens, probably the one that I have glued to my cameras the most. Next up is a 85mm prime for portrait work. But if I had to choose one, I would take the 70-200.

6. mooney101

mooney101 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    this is a trick question. If its truly for work ( a paid job) Go with he sharpest lens money can buy. If not then I would go with the 18-200 nikon lens (if on DX). Its not the sharpest lens out there but one of the most versatile. The 18-200 is the one reason I have not made the jump to FX yet. I just havn't seen a good replacement for it for FX (yet). I shoot mainly seniors and family and the versatile zoom range out ways any lose is sharpness.

7. Joshua_Lee

Joshua_Lee TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Man that is a lot of money. Is there a Tamron/Sigma equivalent? I want sharpness, but also need to make a mortgage payment. haha That being said, I want a little more sharpness than the 18-200 offers. Maybe I just need to start saving. Also, I may be wrong, but wouldn't this lens cause to shoot even farther away from the subject, or is that the point? I felt in some situations with the 50 that I needed to almost zoom out to get my model in the shot, but of course I didn't have that option and had to give up some great full body shots because of it. Maybe I am going about this the wrong way. Someone please explain. Please keep in mind that I am not a professional and I am just getting into portrait photography. I do appreciate constructive criticism.

cheers

Last edited: Aug 30, 2010
  8. Timothy

Timothy TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Well if you want to "zoom out" with a 50mm, just walk backwards.
    but I agree with what Darrel said, the most versatile lens would be the 70-200 and there are sigma equlivants can't remember if there are tamaron ones.
    but if you want a fixed length lens then a 135mm is quite good.... or so I've heard.

Just to restate the 70-200 is your best option, as you can see from the amount of people that have already mentioned it.

9. Joshua_Lee

Joshua_Lee TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Well that was my problem. There were some situations where backing up was not an option. So I guess my question now is, aside from the 70-200 is there a zoom lens that is sharp in the 24-70 range or something like that? Thanks to all for the help.

cheers

10. Tee

Tee Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Tamron makes a 28-75 full frame 2.8 lens that works really well on a DX body and has good reviews. I have a D90 as well and have used a friends 28-75 and was very impressed. I'm going to pick one up as an interim lens while saving for the 2.8 FX Nikkors.

Edit to add: price ranges from $450-$500 depending on where you buy from.

11. DanFinePhotography

DanFinePhotography TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Go check out a couple online merchants. If you just want a portrait lens and 50mm is too tight then look at some at some longer primes. Should be a little closer to your price range and yet get a great portrait lens. I only have had my 50mm for a week or so and its a little restrictive to me but has been great for some close up stuff and really good in lower lighting.

12. bigtwinky

bigtwinky No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I have the Tammie 28-75 on my Canon and its a great lens when shot f/5.6 and above. Not a great low light lens, its slow to af and such, but for portraits and fashion with good lights and all that, should be a fine lens.