Best lens for weddings

bellaPictures

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.bellapictures.com.au
Just wondering what is the preferred/best lens you use at weddings? At the moment ive got 50mm 1.4 nikkor, 80-200mm 2.8 zoom nikkor and hoping to get the 85mm 1.4 nikkor very soon.

What lens do others use best for weddings? Are all these lens that i have sufficient for weddings
Thanks heaps

I personally use a Nikkor 105mm f1.8 for portraits/weddings. It's not very different from the 85mm really, so I wouldn't bother getting both. For the half a stop of light, and 20% difference in length, they're pretty close.

The 80-200 f2.8 VR etc. lens is a great wedding lens, and the standard is also a must-have. Looks like you've got it covered, but I would be tempted to add a prime in the 80-135mm range of lengths (but not a zoom) to give you more light at the beginning of your telephoto length.

Rob

Right now, I use 50mm f1.4 and 24mm f1.4. I'll be adding an 85mm in the near future. I'd be content with those three focal lengths.
You may want to consider a wide prime/zoom, if you are in to it.

At the end of the day it is the personal style/approach that must dictate the purchase.

I would find that 50mm is just not wide enough for me...and that's on a film body. Especially indoors where you can't always back up.

On my digital body, 18mm (kit lens) is as wide as I have and I like the angle for indoors. I do wish I had something wider though.

I've heard from wedding photographers, that the 24-70 F2.8 L is their most used lens. It's fast and covers the "normal" range with a little extra on the wide end. Does Nikon have an equivalent lens?

Yeah, Nikon have the same lens, [ame]http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00005LEOR/compare123com-20/103-2840859-5799855[/ame]

Rob

Good info here.....I am assuming that my Tamron 28-80mm lens on a Minolta 5000si would be okay for a wedding. I have been thinking about getting a 28-200mm lens. Would that be a better lens? or stick with this lens and get a 80-200mm lens?

Most reactions

Back