Best Lens

elsaspet

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.visionsinwhite.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all. I have a very small indoor studio, approx 10 x 12'. What is the best lens for portrait photography. I have a 20D.

What lens are you using now? I like to use a lens that is 2x normal focal legnth for portraits, but you do have some tight quarters. Why not a zoom? Maybe 24-85mm. That would allow you to shoot as long as possible in each situation.

Christie Photo said:
What lens are you using now? I like to use a lens that is 2x normal focal legnth for portraits, but you do have some tight quarters. Why not a zoom? Maybe 24-85mm. That would allow you to shoot as long as possible in each situation.

Believe it or not, the Jordan photos were taken using a 70-200 L f2.8 but I had to cram myself in the back left corner of the room. However I shot all focal lenghts.

I love the 70-200 L f2.8 and use it whenever I can. The compression works nicely for portraits, esp outdoors! But, like you indoors I typically don't find it comfortable to work with unless I have a lot of space. I love my 50mm and for versatility in a small space it can't be beat. I used to use a 35-70 but I don't anymore and honeslty I don't miss it. I just use my feet as my zoom :mrgreen:

i just got one of the 50mm f1.8's last week, and unfortunatly i haven't had much chance to play with it... but just shooting cans of soda sitting on the coffee table i am impressed with how much control i have over dof.

AlisonPower said:
I love the 70-200 L f2.8 and use it whenever I can. The compression works nicely for portraits, esp outdoors! But, like you indoors I typically don't find it comfortable to work with unless I have a lot of space. I love my 50mm and for versatility in a small space it can't be beat. I used to use a 35-70 but I don't anymore and honeslty I don't miss it. I just use my feet as my zoom :mrgreen:

But don't people kinda freak when you have to get right in their face? Also, when I tried to use my smaller lens upclose, it has the tendency to fisheye.

MotorPsycho said:
i just got one of the 50mm f1.8's last week, and unfortunatly i haven't had much chance to play with it... but just shooting cans of soda sitting on the coffee table i am impressed with how much control i have over dof.

I would hate to get an even faster lens. I have a problem with getting one eye in focus and one out. The DOF is too much

elsaspet said:
But don't people kinda freak when you have to get right in their face? Also, when I tried to use my smaller lens upclose, it has the tendency to fisheye.

Both valid points, especially the distortion, minor as it may be with even a normal lens. You're on the right track.

Also, I think if you're shooting somewhere around f8 or so for individuals, you'll be sharp enough and still have good separation from the background. I like to shoot at a smaller aperature for groups.

Good luck!

elsaspet said:
I would hate to get an even faster lens. I have a problem with getting one eye in focus and one out. The DOF is too much

increase the f/stop (decrease apperature size) and the depth of field will become larger... i believe this lense ranges from f1.8 to f22...

again, while playing with this lens, taking pictures of all the random trash on the coffee table, i was amazed how i could control the amount of blur just by increasing from 1.8 to 2 or higher...

i'm using this with my 300D and i was worried that 50mm would be too long (approx 75mm equiv on a 300D i think) but it seems to be okay, just means i don't have to be as close and still be able to fill the frame with soemones face.

if your a canon user, this appears to be a lens you can't afford to NOT have... (ooh, fear my use of the double negative o_O)

elsaspet said:

Well, I use my 100mm macro for close shots because I can get very detailed shots from pretty far away. I've actually found that with some children they like you to be closer, we can play games and I get more natural smiles. Every situation is different. I use the 50mm for more portraits,typically trying to keep it at f8-f/11 and just adjust my lighting accordingly.

I have to agree with hobbes, i shoot with the 10D and that very lens and have excellent results. i took this with the 50mm lens.

SUMMER-FOR-WEB.jpg

Most reactions

Back