best lense for wedding.

Christina

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ive heard so many suggestions on what lens to use for wedding with my canon xt. right now i have the standard lense kit to use for it. What would you suggest??

Well you're going to get some flack for the whole "lense" spelling -

Having said that, most here are no doubt going to suggest getting hooked up with a nice prime -I've seen suggesting for the 50MM, but maybe an 85, or evern (if its in your budget) the 105MM - that would allow you to get all up in it for some nice portrait shots.

Of course something with a nice wide-angle as well for reception, after-party shots.

I've never shot a wedding myself, but my wife-to-be has and I'd say an 85 telephoto for portrait and 24-70 f/2.8L for the reception. Receptions are great for having no light, so you'll want a fast lens.

There is no "best" single lens for a wedding. You need to have a variety of lenses that will cover different situations. A good combination (for Nikon) would be a 17-55 2.8, a 24-70 2.8 and, a 70-200VR 2.8. This is just a basic selection of lenses to cover most situations then you could use a variety of different specialty lenses like, a macro for ring shots, a 10.5 for ultra wide creative group and individual shots, mabye a lens-baby for creative focusing some shots. So as you can see there is no "best lens just a group of core lenses to get and expand on. Now to knock all this out for me when I started and for 3-4 years all I had was a bronica and a 75mm lens (75 bring the "normal" focal length for 645) so I guess you can get away with a high quality, what is "normal" for digital, 30mm.

The typical recommended Canon zoom for the wedding and reception is the 24-70mm f2.8L. For portraits, which does play within wedding photography, 50mm f1.4 and 85 f1.8 are good as well. I've shot in a wedding reception (in addition to the wedding photographer by request of the groomand bride) and found that in low light, a fast 50mm or slightly wider focal length is ideal (1.3 crop). The extra stop you get over the f2.8L zoom was nice.

I kept both the 50 and 85 in my pockets with caps off....

Most reactions

Back