Best lenses for Nikon D7100?

darkblue-x

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Specs/stats wise, which are known to be the best lenses on a Nikon APS-C camera?
One would beg to differ that performance rating on one camera can differ to the other whether that be a noticeable difference or one only better shown by statistic measurement.
The question is one that could be sought through DXO. However, seasoned photographers may have different points of view or experiences that would argue against the ratings of certain highly acclaimed lens' efficacy...Which lead me to ask the question here where I get real life answers.
Take one of every type of lens and advise which may be the highest performing lens on a statistical point of view.

Portrait
Macro
Prime
Telephoto
Super Telephoto
Etc.

Last edited:
Nikon AF-S 35mm 1.8G
Nikon AF-S 50mm 1.8G
Nikon AF-S 85mm 1.8G

for starters....
Super Wide? That's getting costly. Telling people your budget may help.
I do know for DX Nikon has a macro 40mm prime.

Nikon AF-S 35mm 1.8G
Nikon AF-S 50mm 1.8G
Nikon AF-S 85mm 1.8G

for starters....
Super Wide? That's getting costly. Telling people your budget may help.
I do know for DX Nikon has a macro 40mm prime.
Hey thanks for the answer, I meant any type of lens...
I do already have a 35mm 1.8G

Any type of lens/any brand that can attach to a Nikon D7100.

Discuss...
I'm not aware that certain lenses will work any better on one model of body over another.

Nikon is Nikon.

D7100 is D7100.

Nikon mount is Nikon mount.

Pick your lens, purchase it, use it.

Maybe rephrase your question, as I apparently don't understand.

You have only one lens now, so what aspect of photography is it that you wish to do, but can't due to having only that one lens?

Do you need a long lens? Or maybe a portrait lens? One that can do both?

I guess I don't understand either. The question is so vague that anything could be a correct answer. As Gryphonslair99 said, the one that gets the job done.

And as far as "Discussing" goes, it does. Pretty much every single day.

Specs/stats wise, which are known to be the best lenses on a Nikon APS-C camera?
One would beg to differ that performance rating on one camera can differ to the other whether that be a noticeable difference or one only better shown by statistic measurement.
The question is one that could be sought through DXO. However, seasoned photographers may have different points of view or experiences that would argue against the ratings of certain highly acclaimed lens' efficacy...Which lead me to ask the question here where I get real life answers.
Take one of every type of lens and advise which may be the highest performing lens on a statistical point of view.

Portrait
Macro
Prime
Telephoto
Super Telephoto
Etc.
Specs/stats-wise, I have no idea where you would find that information.

One advantage that the APS-C cameras have is that they can use any small-format lens, whether DX or FX. So forget trying to match up DX lenses to your camera because you've got the entire range of modern FX lenses from which to choose as well.

In my own rather limited stable, I have;

Portrait: Recently acquired a 58mm manual focus lens specifically for portraiture
Macro: This is still on my wish list.
Prime: I love my 50mm and 85mm primes.
Telephoto: I own the standard 55-200mm zoom, but I do have another tele lens on my wish list.
Super Telephoto: I don't have anything on my wish list for this category. (What is that, anyway?)

The best lenses are the ones required to do the photography you want to do. Since you have to ask the question, I would suggest you do photography until you have enough experience to know which ones are required. Buying stuff in the hopes of improving your photography won't work. Gaining photographic experience definitely will.

Ehhhhh...ALL of the newer Nikkor G-series lenses are pretty decent! Depends on what you want to shoot. The 20,24,and 28mm f/1.8 AF-S G-series primes would be worth considering for their "lens speed", meaning f/1.8 maximum aperture; this focla length range, from 20 to 28mm, has three main, VERY different lens lengths when the lenses are mounted on an FX Nikon, like a D6xx or D7xx or D8xx series body, and these are costly, FX-capable Nikkors.

The 50mm f/1.8 AF-S G is decent...a bit larger than I prefer: I prefer the 50/1.8 AF-D Nikkor, a much physically smaller barrel and hood, more-compact, focuses perhaps faster thsan the AF-S G 50mm does.

In lower-priced lenses, the 85/1.8 AF-S G is an exceptionally sharp, high-resolving lens; one of the higher-resolving Nikkor lenses under $4,000. It is that sharp--it performas amazingly well and is super-high-resolution. Good for shooting then cropping-in-on the images! One of the better lenses for crop-in shooting. Focus speed is good, but not blisteringly fast on action, yet still, again, for a $350 used-price lens, the 85/1.8-AF-S G is a very good lens...on D7100, this will be a medium-long telephoto, and good for low-light, indoor stage,events,beach,landscapes.

Nikon's 85mm DX Micro~Nikkor is sometimes seen used fairly affordably: this is a close-focusing lens designed to be light and small....keep it in mind if you can get one cheaply.

HONESTLY....70-200mm f/4 AF-S VR-G used for $740 Craigslist to $925 used walk-in price would be my dream lens for the 7100...light, compact, and no real need for f/2.8 in 99% of shooting scenarios, plus pics shot at f/2.8 look slightly substandard in many instances, due to DOF/focus/lens performance issues on high-MP images...buuuuuut whatever...many are not convinced that the f/4 is the better 70-200 to pair with a light, half-height Nikon digibody.

The 60/2.8 AF-D or AF-S G micro-Nikkors are sharp lenses, best for close-in pictures, buy used ones, only.

A good, inexpensive prime is the ED-glass, Nikkor 180mm f/2.8 AF-D prime. VERY sharp, long, light in weight, easy to carry, another fantastic "crop-in" lens. Buy used, pay $300-$395.

When I was doing portraiture for a living I had a suite of 14 lenses.
No 1 lens was best for making all portraits because not all portraits are made with the same artistic and usage goals.

Almost all 'Best' questions are pretty much pointless because it's rare that there actually is just 1 'best'.

Most reactions

Back