Best lighting for true colors, flexibility, economy, and portability?

Bridgett

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
OK...So I am finally thinking about lighting and I need help...I don't even know where to begin. I know virtually nothing about what's out there, nor would I understand how to evaluate the choices and find the right product for me.

I need lighting that is:

1) portable (doesn't need an assistant---I'm just me) and not heavy

2) economical (perhaps a kit or package?)

3) will give true colors (skin tones et al...none of the problems of greenish florescents or tungsten orange)

4) flexible (able to accommodate many settings)

5) SAFE (not likely to cause a fire, a burn, or explode)

I have very little money and usually shoot in natural light. I want to try and find a worthwhile investment that will meet all my needs and still be affordable. I don't have a studio. I mostly go to the places I photograph...but some people ask me if I can do parties or photo shoots in their houses for family Christmas cards and such things. Right now, my camera (can't updgrade right now, no $) doesn't handle low light and movement well, so most indoor things are off limits...and the color from indoor shoots is never that good anyway because of the existing lighting at locations.

Is there such a thing as that which I seek? Can anyone advise me/steer me in the right direction?

Thanks!!!! :heart:

Start of with some knowledge, this will help steer you in the right direction for your equipment needs.

Visit and study www.strobist.com ... specifically Lighting 101 and 102.

After doing that for a month or 2, your will see where your lighting needs fall and you will be able to make an intelligent decision based on your needs.

I think the strobist mentality of less money and more brains into a shoot can help those people that are more on a tighter budget. It takes a lot less effort to light a room when you have strobes the strength of the sun backing you... lol

(note: I did NOT say using high end lighting was easy... just easier to accomplish the jobs that would challenge a battery powered strobe).

Most reactions

Back