Best macro focusing rail -- Kirk or RRS?

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by Troutnut, Mar 14, 2005.

1. Troutnut

Troutnut TPF Noob!

I need to get a really solid macro focusing rail with very smooth movement that doesn't slip even when holding the camera point down, moving it up and down for vertical shooting. I haven't been able to find any reviews that compare the two, so which is better -- the offering from Kirk or RRS?

I'll be using it on a Bogen 3275 geared head on a Gitzo G2220 tripod for macro shots up to 5X magnification at all kinds of weird angles.

2. Bob_McBob

Bob_McBob TPF Noob!

Why not the Bogen/Manfrotto micro positioning plate?

3. Troutnut

Troutnut TPF Noob!

That's what I went with first, and I don't like it. It's kind of loose and shaky (up to 1mm or so, which is way too much for me). The shake can be improved on by really tightening it down, but then I have to twist the thing really hard to move it and it's not smooth at all. Plus the orientation of the knobs is annoying. I'm going to be using this so much that I want something much better.

I don't just have a bad copy... I got 3 (for varying purposes) and they're all like that. So I want a smooth macro focusing rail that doesn't shake or give at all.

4. Bob_McBob

Bob_McBob TPF Noob!

That's rather different from my experience with it. I agree it has to be tightened somewhat to be effective at extremely high magnifications, but I've never found that to be a problem. I have two arranged perpendicular to each other as suggested in the marketing blurb, with magnification up to 1.5x using a high-speed digital video camera (sensor size 15mm x 12mm, so *very* difficult to frame at that magnification).