Best macro lens

hYbr1d

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Have you tried your lens on its maximum aperture (smallest hole). You will get the best DOF that the lens can offer, but it will take quite a bit of light to get any kinda shutter speed.

hey thanks for the reply jedi... i have a friend that lives in cottonwood.. went and visited him up there a few times.. pretty nice area..
anyway, yah i tried it on f22. with about 4 seconds shutter in the sun on a tripod and i still have only a little more DOF. i heard the canon L glass series was the best, but i cant really afford one.. do you know if its possible to get similar type results with anything cheaper..//
thanks

Look into this topic a bit more before you rush on a lens. It does not look like that picture was taken by anything near "the best macro lens"

I use the Canon 100mm f 2.8 . Awesome lens. Macro requires you open the aperture for acceptable DOF. With practice, you can find what works for you.

I use the 100mm f 2.8 . Awesome lens. Macro requires you open the aperture for acceptable DOF. With practice, you can find what works for you.

Several camera makers have a 100mm f.2.8 macro lens and it is generally the best quality for that kind of shooting.

skieur

While the EF 100 f/2.8 is a great macro lens, the EF-S 60 f/2.8 is a tad sharper. IMO. Hands-down the best macro lens by any maker is the EF 180 f/3.5 L. For nature photo like the one you posted where woriking distance and magnification is required, you will need a longer macro in the 100-180 range. Sigma makes a decent 180mm also. But the EF 180 L is a beast. Hurts the wallet too but there is no sharper macro lens. You pay for what you get.

When I wanted to bought my macro lens (6 days ago :) I went to Fred Miranda and I decided to get a Sigma 50mm f2.8 Macro !

Two things to consider:

First:
50mm macro... note distance from lens to subject:

1555055224_db57abac7e.jpg

105mm macro, again note distance from lens to object:

1659381631_685479cde1.jpg

This makes a difference when you are trying to get close to something living and not scare the heck out of it... lol

Second... not all macro is equal. My 18-50mm Sigma is a 1:3 macro. The 105mm is a 1:1 macro.

100% crop of the 18-50mm macro:

1555056044_1161e70955.jpg

100% crop of the 105mm macro, of the SAME memory chip:

1659376861_e9b00d8fce.jpg

Just a note... the 100% crops were both reduced by at least 25%, so do not think that this is their full size.

La morale? Pas toutes les macros sont le meme!

Most reactions

Back