Best MegaPixel Setting for Weddings..

EnricoSuave

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm making the move from celluloid to SLR-Digital. Even though my camera (Canon EOS Rebel XT) will shoot 8.0 Megapixel.. since that eats up a lot of memory on the card, what is the Min and Medium Megapixel setting you tend to use most when shooting Wedding photography?

I've considered using 8Mpixel for the "traditional" shots and poses, then alternating to 3-4Mpixel for reception and candid shots. (But I don't want to miss a shot while making switches every so often.) Does anyone use 1-2 Mpixel for the candid shots? Or one setting for the whole wedding?

Thanks,

Everyone here will tell you to get lots of memory and only shoot RAW!

I personally shoot RAW at the maximum size for everything. Changing a card can be faster than changing a roll of film, and you can get a lot more than 36 images to a card, so I think it's a good deal. Just stock up on larger cards so you don't run out of space. If everything were going to be printed at 4x6 it wouldn't be that big of a deal, but you never know what might merit an enlargement.

I agree, shoot at maximum size (and usually maximum quality) and get more memory. Memory is getting cheaper and cheaper all the time.

The best quality setting is to shoot in RAW. Those files can be around 8MB, the next step down is large/fine JPEG and those files are about half the file size.

There are many threads here, and many pages across the net on the RAW vs JPEG debate. Google is your friend.

RAW means more work during post processing but it offers many benefits.

Definitely get more memory - its something I need to do very soon!! Give your clients the best possible quality images of their special day - I use the same camera ( that is till I upgrade to my 5D - dreamer!!) and shooting RAW means I get about 180 images from a 1gb card compared with 480ish Jpegs... but I would never make the change back!! More memory for sure x

If you're using a DSLR, why would you ever shoot at anything but the maximum resolution? If you have to save space, drop to JPEG Normal instead of RAW, but NEVER, EVER drop the resolution. I don't know why the camera even has the function.

We shoot RAW now and carry a portable storage device, holds 40 gigs.

We carry > 20 Gb of CF cards on us for each wedding and shoot entirely in RAW. After the wedding all the RAWs are backed up to 2 additional hard drives and a set of DVDs into the fire-safe (each wedding usually takes 3 DVD+Rs for the RAW files). Looking at some kind of hot-swap dock for hard drives so I can swap actual hard drives in and out for the fire-safe as well.

With memory and hdd storage so cheap, it's just not feasible to shoot weddings in anything but RAW. We've had images that initially looked completely blown out, but with Phase One Capture One we were able to bring them back and make them very usable images.

I shoot raw always, and I carry a laptop to download the images into so i can resuse the cards. I know this situation isn't ideal as if something goes wrong the laptop I will have trouble retrieving the lost images but so far (touch wood) it has worked for me...

And not that I have jinxed myself I am off to the shops to buy more memory :)

DeepSpring said:
www.surpluscomputers.com

they have really great prices on memory and many other things. just thought i might throw that in.

Do not buy memory from surpluscomputers.com. There memory is of low quality. You are shooting with an XT and the memory with the fastest write speed on that particular camera is SanDisk Extreme III. To find the best memory for your camera go to http://robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007

The SanDisk Extreme III is available from Adorama.com for $99 for a 2GB card.

Most reactions

Back